What the heck did I just do???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windjammer47

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So, Hi all...first post and I am completely clueless about the world of nitro R/C...here's what I do know:

1. I'm mechanically inclined...(I was a automechanic and welder for some years)

2. I have need of a new hobby... :D (guns aren't allowed in Japan)

3. I just bought this thing on a whim off the bay...and I might be a fool for it.

So...heres my question: does this look like something that is worth putting work into? Should I start from scratch and drop 300$ on some RTR kit? Please see the pictures below...

Looks like a lot of the wrong screws were used in a lot of places. Motor is seized, could just be really gunked or could be bad. Gas tank cap missing. Both servos are there. Some extra pieces /parts on the side... Has the traxxas 27mhz rcvr and transmitter. Xmtr battery cover has broken tabs too.

Nitro_1.png

Nitro_1.png

Nitro_3.png

Nitro_4.png

Nitro_5.png

Nitro_6.png

Well the good news is, its a Traxxas. decent brand, plenty of parts available. Bad news is, it looks like it needs a bunch of work. Probably needs to be be completely torn down and check ever gear and bearing too. If it needs a new engine and it looks like it needs a lot of other parts too. Id also personal upgrade to a 2.4Ghz transmitter and receiver. IDK if you added up all the things that need to be replaced it might not be a bad idea to just get a new Rustler and use the Nitro Sport for spare parts. A Rustler is basically the same thing as the sport only slightly better version of it. 95% of the parts are the same though.

Last edited:
AAAA++++ on what Mr. Greywolf said. You should not spend a bunch of $$$ on this to get it running. You will end up spending so much that you could have almost bought a new one. (believe me, I've done it several times). If you have the money to do so, get you a new one. Put this one to the side and tinker with it if you want but get something you can enjoy and not have to fight with.

I guess I didn't mention I got this for 65$ so I'm not out too much. Did I spend too much? So if I decide to rebuild/restore where's a good source of parts? What about exploded diagrams...anywhere I can find them?

I guess I didn't mention I got this for 65$ so I'm not out too much. Did I spend too much? So if I decide to rebuild/restore where's a good source of parts? What about exploded diagrams...anywhere I can find them?

I see this car posted on ebay as we speak. Did you decide to re-sell it? LOL

I have a nitro sport my first car great starter car. You can get parts cheap off ebay. The good thing about the motor being bad is you can upgrade it from the .15 (which they don't make anymore) to to 2.5 which is the bigger motor. You will have to get a new motor mount for it. To replace the screws that don't belong on it you can get a screw kit for it. You can find the exploded view and parts list with item numbers on www.traxxas.com.

With all that said you can't go wrong with The Rustler most of the parts from the Nitro Sport can be used on the Rustler which has the 2.5 motor in it stock.

I see this car posted on ebay as we speak. Did you decide to re-sell it? LOL

Yup sold it for a 14$ loss...what can I say? I think I'm going to try to go with a duratrax RTR kit. The guy I work with has one and he has since moved onto 4-500$ kits but recommended for someone just getting their feet wet. Thanks for all the advice!

Yup sold it for a 14$ loss...what can I say? I think I'm going to try to go with a duratrax RTR kit. The guy I work with has one and he has since moved onto 4-500$ kits but recommended for someone just getting their feet wet. Thanks for all the advice!

I just found a used duratrax quake on eBay 180 shipped with 2 speed and reverse. I wish I got that instead of mine =/

Don't get the Duratrax. Save a bit more money and a get a more mainstream brand. They have come up in quality but aren't quite as good as say Associated, Losi, Traxxas or HPI. Also they still don't quite have the aftermarket support either.

Just my .02

Look at buying a new RTR Rustler. Great starter kit and they arent very expensive. They are a good name brand with tons of after market support. Its a much better alternative than Duratrax. Sham too cuz you could have kept the nitro sport and tore it down for spare parts and then you wouldnt be out any money.

If you want a 2wd stadium truck, I'd start with a new rustler. When buying used, you never know what you are going to get.

While I regretted buying my used rustler at first, I got over it quickly, and have since decided that i've had more fun tinkering with a broken piece of junk than I would if it was perfectly new out of the box.

For example : Had I purchased a new one, I would have probably bent the shock shafts right out of the box, ruining my fun.

This one already had some TINI shafts on it. When I bought new shocks for it, the shafts bent on the first crash, so I figured out quickly what the problem was.

It's been a fun project so far. I'm still running it around without a body though. Waiting to find a great deal on one so I don't have to paint one myself.

+ 1 to buying used and saving old R/C from the trash man.

Last edited:
Jammer... what part of Japan are you in?

Yokota Air Base...think 20 mins south of Tokyo. I'm actually stateside right now, wrapping up some training...blah!

Back