What Model Tmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racfox450

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently had a Traxxas 3.3 with the Opti drive given to me with transmission all disassembled. It has the grey transmission and receiver box. The trans is taken apart and I'd like the forward only conversion in it but HobbyTown sold me the wrong part it seems because I can't figure this thing out. They gave me a 5394x part which looks like it could be for the revo. Also went to another hobby shop and got 4994x this is confusing... could someone please get me going into the right direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20160605_102127975.jpg
    IMG_20160605_102127975.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 420
You'll have to measure the wheelbase axle to axle. It'll be 12" or 13.2".
5394x should be what you need. 4994x is the Forward Only shaft and gear and is part of the 5394x.
I will have a look, but I'm pretty sure the Revo and Maxx use the same FOC

*Edit*
The T-Maxx parts list shows 5394x as the FOC, so it does indeed use the same kit as the Revo. It should have come with instructions, but if not, they're available on the Traxxas website. Just do a site search for your part number.

So you have to buy both of these parts separate right?

No, not at all. 4994x is simply a replacement for one component of 5394x

So measure from front to back axle? I have 12in so what model would it be ?

That would be the T-Maxx 2.5 or an older 3.3. Any parts you would need, I would look at what Traxxas now calls the "T-Maxx Classic"
Most parts will interchange, save for chassis, chassis braces and driveshafts. If you were only looking for replacement stock bits, you can download the parts list in PDF form from the Traxxas website. Unless I'm badly mistaken, the transmission is the same across the T-Maxx lineup. Exception being I believe the very old models, and possibly the .15 model use the old style slipper.
From the picture you posted earlier, I can't tell which you would have.

It's the newer slip clutch that's on it. The old style has the little reddish colored pins in the spur gear. This one has the break pad type slip clutch

Foc 5394x will not fit inside my transmission the shaft seems to be to long for it. When I put everything back togeather the transmission was hard to spin gears .

Traxxas part #5195 is almost the same looking part but maybe a smaller shaft? I'm now stuck with parts that don't fit my Maxx because hobby town is uneducated. I doubt they will take parts back. I took the truck into them so I could get a for sure fit.

Apologies. 5195 may well be the one you need. There may actually be a difference between the 2.5 and 3.3. As I don't have both accessible to me, I can't compare. The newer extended wheelbase 3.3 does use the 5194X. Sorry, man.

Can you lay out your trans parts that do fit next to the shaft that doesn't and take a good photo of it for us? Might help us to help you if we can see what you have.

Back