What is your craziest RC story

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a damn shame what public schools have become. We used to have wood shop, metal shop, electricity shop, print shop, drafting/CAD, home economics (cooking), sewing, art, etc. Those are the classes that taught kids how to enter the workforce with some skills.
There was cooking in high school but it was really small. Ofcourse our school was also corrupt as hell so it fits.

Man, if I got all the guys around the campfire with a couple beers, we could entertain you for days. Mostly back in the AM days and runaways. Even if you bought a good failsafe, it wasn't guaranteed to work. Lol.

Back in the day, I had a Losi GTX. Raced it locally with a couple different engines. Really shined with the Picco .12 in it. Anyway....when the whole racing thing fell apart, it sat for several years. Bashing became the cool thing to do. It was not a basher. Light weight and meant for racing. There wasn't aftermarket parts to beef it up. But, what about speed? I set out to make the fastest nitro stadium truck. And I did. OS .15 with a CVEC pipe and gearing. We didn't have GPS trackers. You had to find a cool cop with a radar gun. Best was 53 MPH. That was big deal back then. Lot's of people lined up and failed.

Enter the internet and forums. I was bragging about my GTX. A guy from Iowa challenged me. Several other people from MN showed up too. About 40 of us took over this big park. Had a ball. Bashed everything we had. It was time to get down to business. Both of us lined up in the parking lot. I kicked his ass. And then it just kept going.....My first runaway! Hit the curb head on. Exploded into a million pieces. Parts were falling out of the pine tree behind it. Not kidding. Didn't have cellphones or video cameras. I can still see it in my head. It was raining parts!

I did rebuild it. It lived on. Sold it to fund my Savage SS build. Sorry for the poor quality. Only have a couple pics from a 1.3? mega pixel camera.

View attachment 181309View attachment 181310
That was an awesome truck man.

I got this notification that @Rowdyray quoted my post on this thread…… well I look at this thread that I never posted on and….. he quoted @WickedFog? Wtf is going on here ? My craziest Rc story…. Getting quoted on a RC thread I NEVER POSTED ON…..

And I did this face the whole time
IMG_9985.jpeg

The day was Sat Nov-15-2014, I first started racing at the club level about 4 years prior and had established myself as a relatively consistent driver, certainly not the best driver in my area, but I would usually find myself somewhere in the top 1/4 of drivers for any given class. I was just trying a new body on my Tekno SCT410; here is some video from the first qualifier in the day, you can see that I was learning a new track layout (for me) and also learning the limitations of the new body with really high wind gusts in the 20-30mph range:

I really wish I had someone video the main, but the best I can do is offer the following story of my experience, at least this is how I remember it:

I had qualified second for the main, and just that alone was a big accomplishment for me because there were some really good racers present and I was chasing the TQ all day long. At the start of the main I was taken out in the first turn by the #3 car, then one by one, each successive car would hit me, it was like my car was a freaking pinata out there. So I decided to jump the track lane divider and was going to wait for the lead car to come back around in the middle track section to regain my #2 position, but instead a turn marshal decided to pull my car (after I already waited) when the lead came up to me and then the marshal placed my car back into the first turn... at this point I was already 1/3 a lap down from the field so I walked off the driver stand in frustration with an exclamation of "What's the point" (pretty sure there was an F-bomb in that exclamation too). By the time I got down to the bottom of the stand I had calmed down and decided that I would just have fun and not focus on winning, but just see how many cars I could regain position in a field of 12 cars total. By the time I walked back up, the lead car was about to lap me so I gunned the throttle and was just a few feet in front of the #1 car as I finally started my race. The RD was calling everything out so it was very clear to everyone what had happened to me so extra attention was being placed on my car for the spectators. I slowly pulled away from the #1 car and then within the first lap I had already passed the #11 car, then by the 5th lap I passed #10 and #9 cars... things were progressing very smoothly for me as I was gaining on each car after car with the RD calling out the shots, he was even cheering me on. For the 6th and 7th laps I shot past the #8, #7 and #6 cars, I was on a mission at this point and my only goal was to pass the next car in front of me with extreme prejudice. I finally caught up with the lead pack by the 9th lap and was in the 4th position with just over 2 minutes left in the 8 minute race... winning still wasn't a consideration at this point, I was simply happy enough to have caught up, but I was still determined to pass the #3 car, which I did in the 10th lap... then the following lap, the top 2 cars got tangled up and I found myself in the lead for the 11th lap and over a minute of racing to go. My adrenaline was pegged, hands trembling and tunnel vision setting in. I was doing my best to use my peripheral vision to see it was now a close race with the top 4 cars all within a second from each other on the track. The final 2 laps where the longest time I've ever spent in my life... it was like time had stood still yet the race continued. As luck will have it, I barely made it under the loop just when time ran out so I was able to squeak an extra "victory lap" around the track as everyone else's race was over... people were cheering and everyone congratulated me as I walked off the stand and thanked me for giving the best "come back performance" they've seen in a long time:

15884759986_4eeb22153e_b.jpg

Although there is no glory in R/C Racing, the euphoric feeling I got from this experience was very rewarding and something that just can’t be explained, you just have to experience it to know what I’m talking about. It was well worth the 1 hour drive (each direction) to race at this club!

It's moments like this that feed my addiction to R/C :D