Westerin digital hard drives problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Nitro?

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
my dad got a brand new 120gb western digital drive for his comp for christmas,and now that damn thing took a dump,this isn't the first time we've had problems,we have had two other drives fixed by western digital for them going end's up on us and yet they still died on us after we receved them back,anybody else have this problem,suggestions on a new drive,looking for a 160gb,and not western digital.

WD's are about the only thing we sell. We used to sell IBM (now Hitachi) but the always came back. Nothing but good luck for us with WD.

I just recently sent back an 80 gig WD SATA drive that crashed.. Only 6 months old. They sent me a NIB drive, but I still lost alot of files..

this would be are third drive that's failed and this one is less than 6 months old,the others were less than a year old,so hell i dunno.kinda discourages me from buying one again.

I lost two as well that were only about 6 months old at the time. I was talking to a guy at the store where I picked up a replacement (Maxtor) and he was saying the drives made in the Phillipines are a problem and the ones made in Malaysia are good. He said of returns on WD drives, something like 95% of them were made in the Phillipines. WD warrantied my two drives and I still have them sitting in the static bag unopened for almost two years. I did lose a bunch of files, so that really pissed me off. No more WD's for me.

I've had great luck with my maxtors.

I never got any luck using Western Digital HD. I switched to IBM then Maxtor, still no luck. I am using Seagate's right now and it has been 2 years without any problem. Did I mention I never turn off my pc? :D

I also have Hitachi in my laptop for almost a year and still in good shape.

i was looking into maxtors,i really need a realiable drive,my dad's a web designer and his stuff is very important to him along with my stuff too.

I am not sure if Seagate is the same company as WD, but I have an 80gb Seagate and I havent had any problems with it.

Got nitro how about a dvd bruner for dad???? that would back up his files

and also i believe I've had a wd hd for about 3 to 4 years and its still running strong a lil slower then it used to be but still fine no problems

and i think i also have a maxtor and still no problems

i dont know what to tell you if you have soo much problems talk to a higher up in the ranks i mean they should sell somehthing that is going to work not something thats going to break down 6 months later.

Cash is the issue right now,Can't afford the dvd burner but we do have a back up drive that's full already,damn 60gb aren't big enough,anyways thanks for the suggestions guys.

With that many failures, I have to question the integrity of your power supply and your controller/mainboard. I would upgrade my power supply before I put another drive into that same computer again. I would vouch for WD as they have been very good in my experience. I use them in all of my custom builds but I always use a good power supply.

I also forgot to menchion,this drive over heat's terribly,restarts on it's own,and freeze's like a mother fiddlesticker,it's kinda annoying,we've opend the case for more airflower,checked all the fans,and my temp say's it's fine and then all of the sudden it heat's up and dye's out.

Well from a professional standpoint I have had no problems with WD HD's in general. I have had problems in the past with the larger drives. The platters are spinning very fast usually 10,000 RPM. The heads are real close the the platters as well. It doesn't take much to crash them. Anything above 150 GB I would go SCSI or invest in a good back up solution. I have had drives from all the main manufacturers fail, some just more than others. WD is usually a stand up drive though.

Tom

We have mostl WD, here. We've got one Maxtor, and a couple of Seagates. Haven't had a problem with any of them. Dunno what to tell you.

Meant to say my Maxtor which has been in my pc now has been running 24/7/365 for over three years not two like I thought. I also burn everything from MP3's to photo's on DVD. I have over 30,000 pictures of my daughter alone and would die if I lost those. I lost a bunch of pix from trips I did with work with my WD crash, pisses me off to this day! Some of those places I may never get back to.

I run Maxtor and ton of Western Digital drives. I have only had one crash (160GB off to the data recovery team).

If I had multiple crashes, I'd start to suspect the machine that I was putting them in...either that or a bad lot within that manufacturer's pool of product.

As mentioned by Buncrana, I'd look into the machine a bit and make certain it is not the real problem.

I also recommend Western Digital drives and consider Maxtor a very close second...if not equal. I have heard good things about Seagate, but have no personal experience with them.

It's two comps,my moms and my dad's,as soon as he tossed her WD her comp work's awesome no problems runs good,he got his and it blows,were gonna see if it's the drive or the machine,I'm putting money on the drive though,it started acting up then it quit and now it's back to it again.

Back