Very Stupid Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benningtonr

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Would forgetting to put the glow plug washer back in after performing the after-run procedure the night before cause a motor to run hot and not be able to richen enough to keep the temp down?

I guess it could. It might create and air leak so it would run hotter than normal. Is that what happened to you?

I think so, couldn't get motor to run below 300's, as high as 390. I had put wd-40 in it the night before. Bear in mind this was my first nitro car and the first days ever. So I took it out the next day and it wouldn't do anything right. not shift, run way too hot. I am rebuilding the motor now, parts are on the way. I have 2 t-maxx's still in the box, charging the batteries today. and I was searching for a reason that I smoked the used losi I bought to learn with. Well last night I was in the garage at the bench adjusting and cleaning the slipper and 2 peed clutch when I saw a washer on the back of the bench, it was the glow plug washer.
During smoking the motor i put in a new plug to see if that would help, it didn't probably too late, and noticed that the new one had a washer and the old one did not.

You get air leaks around the plug and with the plug sitting deeper in the engine, you will have increased compression.

Sounds feasible. Live and learn :)

Well if you put in the washer and start it up again it should be normal temps, unless the problem is elsewhere

It should be fine put in the glow plug and washer in the engine and some retuning. It should run good.

390??? I think it might have smoked itself. IMO It might do something with a new plug n washer. Let us know how it is.

390...thats WAY too hot, i agree with jnjritz on this one...might have killed the engine :\. Almost 100% sure its an air leak JMO

390 is pretty hot, but depends on how long you ran it at those temps. Slap another plug in it and see what happens.

Boutch, that's one scary looking clown!

A lot of engine's will warp the sleeve if they get above 300F, they'll still run but not at peak performance.

It has been taken apart already. Couldn't figure it out so we stripped it. Waiting for new parts. Still worried about breaking in the two new t-maxx's. Confiedence is down, go figure.