Urgent! Before I blow $200!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Found an Ofna on craigslist, $200, looks good, needs a recoil. The guy bought a starter box for it, but can't get it to work with the truck. It looks to me like a Mutilator, and he says he's got about 4.5 gallons into it.

Comes with alot of extra parts, plus half gallon of fuel. Should I go for it?

Actually, pricing accessories, and the NIB body, the truck is almost free, but is it worth it with 4.5 gallons run through it??

I wouldnt. but thats just me........ you never know exactly how a rig has been driven, and at 4.5 gal. its probably very close to being worn out. I'd look on the RC websites classified ads, such as this sites, and get something from there.

Based on the pics, it looks mint, and I'm really unsure if he meant 4.5 gallons, or tanks. I emailed him, if he replies I'll ask him more about it, but here's the link.

Ofna on Craigslist

pics could have been taken long ago........ and a body can make anything look new.

I agree with these guys. Just wait and watch on here or other forums and buy from someone with alot of good feedback so you know what your buying is legit.

Well, according to his ad, he can't start it for you. At this point, consider it a blown engine and offer him 125.
If it won't start, he's hiding the problems.

I agree with the other guys, I think you should shy away from this one.

There are always people selling stuff here. Just wait and you'll probably see one for sale here soon. Anything on e-Bay that is used could very well be trashed. For the amount of money you were looking at paying tis guy, you can almost buy a new one.

I've learned the hard way when the said it won't start. I would say they are right and would offer 125 also.

Yea, if it can't start you have to treat it like it's blown.. Tell him that (and that even if it did start, 4.5 gallons is getting into "new bearings" territory anyway) and as these guys said, offer him 125$.. If he wont take it, offer him 150$ and tell him that's all you can do.. It looks like a pretty good deal for 150$ (imo) Then you could put the other 50$ toward a new mill once that one dies.. Good luck!
PS: Unless he finds a rich "sucker" he wont get 200$ for it, w/o being able to start and run the motor.. ;)

I'm trying to get him to call me, so I can talk to him about it. I'd like to know why it is that he can't get it to run off of the starter box either. If it weren't for the fact that the motor itself is $160, I'd be thinking a bit more seriously about it. The first email I sent him was to ask what model and what motor, and he confirmed that it is the mutilator, with the .32.

Despite heavy deliberating, I met up with him today to look at it. He showed me the broken pullstart, and I looked everything over. For the extras that came with it, and the overall good condition of the truck, I though it was at least worth the $200. I picked up a new pullstart on my way home, put it on. I drained his old fuel, put some of my new fuel in it. I put a couple of drops of after run oil in it to lube it up (the motor turned pretty good before I paid for it). About four pulls, and it came to life! After letting it warm a little, it bogged on the throttle, so I leaned it out a little bit. Started it up again. Let it idle for a few minutes, and since, I've run two full tanks through it. I'm happy with my decision.

Thanks for the good advice guys, but I just felt I could go with my gut on this one. The truck is in really good shape, and even if I have to replace the motor, it would still be cheaper than buying new.

It sounds like you did okay. That's the advantage of being able to see it before the buy. Your Gut can tell you a lot that way.

If it was a case where he had to ship it, I wouldn't have bought it. But after talking with him on the phone, and meeting up with him in person, he seemed like a pretty straight forward guy, and he knew what he was talking about.

It's nice to hear about a deal going good. Good job on doing your homework as well.

At least the guy was cool and let you do all of that. Good buy have fun.

1a87e8e1.jpg

6cb4ed9f.jpg

Took it out to play in the dirt today, this baby is awesome!