Unclear about my idle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrkrsll

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
When my car is on the ground the idle does not pull the car forward, but when it's lifted off the ground the clutch engages slightly and the wheels start to move.
It does not sound like its revving high and everything else is running just fine.
Is this normal, should the wheels be dead still when it's idling and no wheels are touching the ground?

your brake might be on too tight, your clutch might be worn, your slipper might be too loose.

When my car is on the ground the idle does not pull the car forward, but when it's lifted off the ground the clutch engages slightly and the wheels start to move.
It does not sound like its revving high and everything else is running just fine.
Is this normal, should the wheels be dead still when it's idling and no wheels are touching the ground?

The wheels should not move under idle when on a stand.

Idle is set too high or clutch has an issue (worn spring, bad bearings). The rpm does not rise when you lift it off the ground and the wheels start turning?

unless there is very little friction between wheels and spur gear. the cb naturally wants to spin but wont lock on till the clutch engages. so yeh either clutch is stuffed or idle is too high.

Basically it means the clutch shoes are dragging on the clutchbell at idle. It is not a big deal unless it seems to be pulling the car with a bit of force. If it is, then I would look into:
*slowing down the idle speed slightly,
*new clutch shoe springs- those may be getting worn out
*new clutch shoes- or if those are aluminum shoes, they may need some maintenance- filing off the rough edges.
*new clutchbell- is the inside rough or caked in aluminum goo- needs to be super smooth.
*new clutch bearings- does the clutchbell spin freely?