Uh-oh.... starter box problems?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitecat

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Dudes, I need your advice

I was trying to start my car (mugen mbx4) and I noticed that I couldnt turn the motor over with the starter box, the starter box would either just stop once It hit the flywheel or it would barely crank over the motor once and then stall. I checked the battery I use for the starter box and it is charged up fine........

here comes the bad news

I kept trying to star the buggy and then I saw some smoke coming out of the starter box, dudes.... I think I burnt out the motor, the smoke smelt VERY bad!

I'm currently using the daratrax 1/8 starter box heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNL62&P=0

has anyone else had this problem? should I replace the motor or just get a whole new (and better) starter box? I dont know if this box is a bandaid and would appreciate any help

thanks in advance

oh, yeah... I almost forgot... the motor in by buggy is a novarossi and has 2+ gallons through it, so its not like its brand spankin' new and has massive compression (although it still has plenty)

Get an Ofna box. I also have a Nova Rossi and The Ofna actually revs the engine a lot higher than when it's running by itself. It has dual 550 motors. So if one dies it is still possible to start the engine. Get the duratrash where it belongs. (in the black bag)

yeah I think you hosed it.

I've read on this forum that the single motor high torque boxes turn those high compression engines over better than the motor setups. I believe it was one of the Dynamite boxes that someone recommended.

I own the mugen 1/8th scale box. It works pretty good but I need a good 12v gel cel to get good turning power out of it. That's also food for thought on the next box. Good 12v gelcel beats those 7.2 packs aparrently.

I still think it's the duratrash but I could be wrong.

just go pull
relalible and i have a "duratrash" which is so much better than a rustler (doesn't go as fast but handles like anything)

It doesn't piss me off so much that the starter motor craped out on me, its the fact that a replacement motor costs 42$ from tower, let alone how much from my lhs! I think I may be better off with a whole new unit altogether

I hopped my rusty up to handle way better than anything.

make sure you get direct contact with flywheel of the starter box and the flywheel of the engine. loosen the glow plug about half a turn n start. if problem persist, heat the engine crank case then start. wt dis does is heat the engine expanding it internally. good luck

Back