TRX 3.3 Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldmarshal

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just bought a brand new TRX 3.3 Engine, and when i rotate the crankshaft, the piston gets stuck on the top of the piston sleeve, and wont come down to the BDC. I have to remove the cooling head, and manually push the piston down, its that tight. Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks

Its ok if your Judy rotating it by the shaft and not the flywheel or upstart or something because you won't really be able to get a good grip on it. You should probably leave it alone until your going to run it because you'll probably end up damaging it, you should seal it while you have it out and clean aswell .

Its really really tight, i mean, i installed the traxxas pull start, and it just would not pull, any harder, i would probably break the thread on the pull start.

I know, a new engine is supposed to be tight, but this seems too tight to even start the engine. So my worry is i wont even be able to start the engine, to get the break in process going, in order to let it loosen a bit.

you can warm it up with a hair dryer

i had a 3.3 like that ...heat it up as hot as you can with a hair dryer just before you start it ...it well help quite a bit ;)

Thanks guys, i will try it out.

Well i took it out for the first time, and man it was a nightmare to get it fired up for the first time. I am using the TRX pull start, and my hands are literally swollen yanking the damn thing to get it started for the first time. But once it started, i followed the break in procedure sticked here, and everything at least to me seemed to go smoothly.

Initially i did have a ton of liquid spray out of the exhaust, does this mean i am too rich?

put a tube on the exhaust tip that extends out and down to keep the gas away from your, it will keep your rig a little cleaner

I have gotten going with the break in, and i think i have read too many break in procedures and am little confused.

So i went with the heat cycle break in method, and i know the key is getting the temps to little over 200 deg while running little rich, and cooling it down and repeat for 3-4 tanks or so, then move on to tuning the carb for performance.

But most of the articles i have read also say you do it for 4-5 min intervals. The confusing part is, i can never get my temps up to 200 deg running for just 4-5 min while running slightly rich and varying rpms without full throttling it for extended periods of time, it takes me almost a full tank to get to over 200 deg. Should i be concerned and lean out the carb some more? Or should i forget the time, and just concentrate on the temperature, getting it up over 200 and cooling it down with your piston at the BDC.

Thanks

i would leave it where it is, the temps should come up

the way i have done my second one , was basically the heat cycle method ...but i did it with the truck on a bucket ..using an onboard temp gauge and an old computer fan hooked up to a 9v power supply ..i would bring it up to temp and play with the rpm's ( no full throttle ) and control the temp with the fan