Trx 2.5R engine temps

• Thread starter Carlos Aguilar Garcia
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Aguilar Garcia

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My engines temperatures are between 240-280, my hsn is 5 turns out, i can't even get my revo to hit 2nd gear. I need to change my engine's head so i can lean out my hsn so i can achieve top speeds..... any suggestions on a good cooling head, the trx 2.5 heads will fit!

I've read in a few places that it takes a little bit a running before the tranny really starts working well. How much fuel do you have through it?

If your temps are 240 - 280 then you are doing fine. You need to adjust your shift points. Putting a differnet head on does not automatically mean you can lean it our more.

What fuel are you running? What glow plugs are you running? If you are running anything other than Traxxas Top Fuel 20% and Traxxas medium plugs then you are fighting a losing battle.

I ran a 30 minute main and won this past weekend, after 30 minutes my temp was 227 degrees. BTW, I run a Hardcore Head. I am not trying to contradictive when saying you dont need a new head, I am simply trying to keep you from spending money you dont need to spend.

Roy Pitchlynn
RD Racing

I have run a gallon in my enigne, a have adjusted its shift point and nothing happens, a have cut a hole in the bodies windshield for better airflow, it helped but i still need it to be cooler so i can lean out the hsn, dont you think 5 turns out is very rich?

Yes 5 turns out seems rich but this can always vary from engine to engine. You didnt answer my question of what fuel you are using and what glow plug. These two things are the most import when talking about how hot a 2.5 runs. If your not running Traxxas fuel and Traxxas glow plugs then you will never keep the temps down. So, let me know what fuel and glow plug you are running. Also on the stock body it helps to trim abour 1/2" off the front lower edge.

As far as shift point goes. If you have adjusted it and nothing happens then you are not adjusting it far enough. Even a poorly tuned, rich engine will allow the REVO to shift if the shift point is set to shift early enough. Run your REVO on a stand and reading your manual, open the plug on the tranny and locate the shift adjust screw in there. Turn it counterclockwise to bring the shift points closer, to make it shift earlier. It may take a full turn counterclockwise to get it to shift, but it will shift.

Roy

I needed a plug after fouling out the traxxas plug and stuck in a McCoy MC-59 and I run Trinity 20% and my temps are around 235-240. Temps were in that range on warm day running on a rocky creek bed and running a bmx trail through a wooded area. I'm right around 4 turns out.

No need for sink

Carlos Aguilar Garcia said:
My engines temperatures are between 240-280, my hsn is 5 turns out, i can't even get my revo to hit 2nd gear. I need to change my engine's head so i can lean out my hsn so i can achieve top speeds..... any suggestions on a good cooling head, the trx 2.5 heads will fit!
Dude, I've raced twice and all 6 heats and 2 twenty minute mains I ran at 240. What is weather temperature like where your running. Just to let you know on these trx engines the low speed needle setting is the most important :cheers:

Second tank of fuel(the trashass stuff), bout 1/4 of the way thru it, with the body on temps about *340. Needless to say, I shut it off and tossed the body for the rest of the break in. I see a SB .21 conversion coming on........