Truggies derived from...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyUs

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know where the term "Truggy" comes from, and was trying to track down the year it all started, but you never know what you will find out there in the interwebs...
1699719421442.png

More of the article here... https://www.swellrc.com/truggy/

Last edited:
I don't know where this guy got his info from, but his definition of a truggy says it's a combination of a tractor and buggy. That's just ludicrous. It is a combination of a truck and buggy.

+1, Kevin.

My initial experience with RC Truggies began back '04, I think it was. Racing 1/8 nitro bug at the time. It was a time when 1/8 was just getting big here in Texas and the tracks were growing to where 1/10 nitro ST's were hard pressed to run on the ever-increasing in size 1/8 tracks.

First 'Truggie' conversion I saw was a DuraTrax Axis buggy conversion to a truck. Curious to me because at the time my 1/8 bug was a DT Axis.

For what its worth. 'AC'

I don't know where this guy got his info from, but his definition of a truggy says it's a combination of a tractor and buggy. That's just ludicrous. It is a combination of a truck and buggy.
MTs specifically and buggies.

I stumbled across this today and thought it was interesting...

Traxxas Wildcat 4x4 - C-506 - Radio Controlled Model

History and Info:

Was this in fact the first Traxxas RC model ?. According to a Traxxas employee, the 4WD Wildcat - # C-506 - was distributed by Traxxas for a short period circa 1986, then recalled.

Similar in design to a number of Tamiya models and manufactured for Traxxas by a company called Bluebird, the Wildcat buggy is shaft driven, on a molded plastic chassis, with gear type differentials, coil spring over oil filled dampers, dogbone drive-shafts, bushings, ring type bearings and originally came with an RS-540S motor and mechanical speed controller.

It seems two versions of the Wildcat 4x4 were available: One with a front mono-damper and two rear dampers; and a second, with two front dampers and four rear dampers.

A possible third "Race Version" was also produced, with a tunable modified motor and heavy duty speed controller - # 1001-R.

Traxxas Wildcat - 1:10 Electric RC Buggy

To race the Traxxas Wildcat, it requires a high level of tuning for improved stability when cornering, to keep it on the track and give you more grip under acceleration. Even the smallest change in your cars settings can make a Big difference. Our simple to follow instruction chart will show how to attain the best Set-up for your personal requirements.

The Truggies he's talking about you sit in and drive it yourself. 1/1 scale. The clue is it requires a welder to build one. About halfway through he seems to get confused and starts referencing RC stuff?

Last edited:
I would argue the "truggy" began with this in 1993... which was basically truck wheels/tires on a buggy chassis.

Associated-RC10-GT-Box.jpg

The term "truggy" was first introduced on 1/8 platforms and it was defined as repurposing the 1/8 buggy wing (typically 4WD's). The 1/10 Stadium Trucks (typically 2WD) never used wings, they are technically called spoilers, hence why they were initially called Stadium Truck and never evolved. The 1/8 Monster Trucks went through a drastic evolution borrowing designs from the 1/10 Stadium Trucks and it was such a drastic game changer with the buggy wings they knew a new class had evolved.

I believe the very first 1/10 Mini Truggy was introduced by HoBao in 2010 as the Hyper 10TT where TT stands for "Transformer Truggy" they had effectively transformed the stadium truck into a truggy, also a 4WD platform holding true to the definition of a truggy:

https://www.rcscrapyard.net/ofna-hyper-tt-nitro.htm

1699731669485.png

To this day when someone says ST, everyone knows it's a 2WD with a rear spoiler, when they say Truggy it's a 1/8 4WD with a buggy wing and Mini Truggy is 1/10 4WD with a buggy wing

Last edited:
The term "truggy" was first introduced on 1/8 platforms and it was defined as repurposing the 1/8 buggy wing (typically 4WD's). The 1/10 Stadium Trucks never used wings, they are technically called spoilers, hence why they were initially called Stadium Truck and never evolved. The 1/8 Monster Trucks went through a drastic evolution borrowing designs from the 1/10 Stadium Trucks and it was such a drastic game changer with the buggy wings they knew a new class had evolved.

I believe the very first 1/10 Mini Truggy was introduced by HoBao in 2010 as the Hyper 10TT where TT stands for "Transformer Truggy" they had effectively transformed the stadium truck into a truggy:

https://www.rcscrapyard.net/ofna-hyper-tt-nitro.htm

View attachment 174708
Well I would still argue there were truggies before that because we called that RC10 GT a truggy back then. Now, the rest of the RC world may have been introduced to the term as you said in 2010, but not around these parts. It may have taken the industry a number of years to adopt the term truggy, and came out with what they thought a truggy was, but the term truggy has been around damn near as long as I can remember.

The truggy is a combination of a truck and a buggy. The first one I remember was like I said, in 1993.

Last edited:
The following video does a pretty good job explaining the definition of a truggy and where it evolved from. Also worth noting that the truggy class recently evolved again and is now being called the bruggy class, more details here:

The following video does a pretty good job explaining the definition of a truggy and where it evolved from. Also worth noting that the truggy class recently evolved again and is now being called the bruggy class, more details here:

It may have evolved that way where he's from, or where you're from, but round these parts, we had truggy racing in the 90's. You can keep telling me over and over truggies came to be in the 2000's, but that doesn't change the fact that folks round here were using the word truggy in the 90's, and that began with the RC10 GT - which we all called a truggy.

When I bought my RC10 B2 in '95, I remember trying to decide between buying a buggy or a truggy. I'm sorry there isn't recorded evidence of this fact that we hillbillies called them that on Google. The internet just wasn't really much of a thing back then.

Last edited:
Truggy is a race buggy both wheeling and desert 🌵 runs. If you guys know anything look up KOH California
Johnson valley
Look up Shannon from AZ desert race and crawling

The Truggies he's talking about you sit in and drive it yourself. 1/1 scale. The clue is it requires a welder to build one. About halfway through he seems to get confused and starts referencing RC stuff?
That's my initial thoughts as well. Someone writing for two different topics/websites, and went on a drinking binge. I posted on here so y'all might get a laugh or two.

Back