Traxxas 2WD Rear Shock Tower screws

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
On my rusty, the rear shock tower screws to mount it, they keep backing out. The ones that go into the tranny case and chassis. Tried ca glue and super glue and that didn't work. Already have a spare RPM tower. And planning to get a new tranny case and chassis anyways.

try red Loctite.. if you have 1 try a longer screw . you will have to cut it shorter to prevent trans gear interference. You can use a larger diameter screw .you just need to cut screw to self thread

If it's a fine thread screw maybe try a corpse thread one. That helped me a few times.

This is one of many fundamental design flaws that I recommend upgrading with shock parts from another brand of 2WD SCT on the market, I used HPI Blitz parts at the time where I used their longer M3x25 screw to go all the way through the shock tower from the back side and then use their shock bushings to go into the TRX shock caps and backed with a flanged M3 nut to secure each shock. If I had to source parts today, I'd try the PR Racing SC201:

1711732293970.png

Get the Hot Racing aluminum trans case. Or even their plastic one is better than the OEM one.

This is one of many fundamental design flaws that I recommend upgrading with shock parts from another brand of 2WD SCT on the market, I used HPI Blitz parts at the time where I used their longer M3x25 screw to go all the way through the shock tower from the back side and then use their shock bushings to go into the TRX shock caps and backed with a flanged M3 nut to secure each shock. If I had to source parts today, I'd try the PR Racing SC201:

View attachment 186744
He's referring to the screws that mount the shock tower to the transmission. Not the shock mounting screws.

Get the Hot Racing aluminum trans case. Or even their plastic one is better than the OEM one.
I think that's the same one @luke66 runs in his MM rustler.

If I MM convert mine, I'm fine with it. But I will miss having a rear mount for a wheelie bar or bumper. With both the slash and rustler m. I already told him to design something

If I MM convert mine, I'm fine with it. But I will miss having a rear mount for a wheelie bar or bumper. With both the slash and rustler m. I already told him to design something
Design a block that bolts to the mounts where the tranny did to the chassis. Tap and dye the block and use steering turn buckles. 2 on top of said block, 2 on sides. Then on the wheel mount you need a spacer to mount the other turnbuckle ends.

I'll see if I have mine to get a picture of. 15 years ago I'm not sure I still have it.

You don't have to mount it in mid configuration. And you can make the RPM wheelie bar mount work with an extra bushing. See my build thread on the drag Slash for more info 😉
20220815_235640.jpg

Piller balls backing out of RPM a-arms on Arrmas is an issue. I use blue loctite and they stay put, I don't know if this will work with a 3M screw.

You could try creating a plastic slurry. Take some acetone (mom's nail polish remover) and drop some bits of plastic in it. Once it melts, use a toothpick and smear it inside the holes. Some plastic doesn't melt with acetone though. Find some that does.

Put some larger screws in and seems pretty tight now. Should hold. It's a bit crooked because I left 1 screw because that's the one I super glued in. Only bashing it tomorrow so it should be fine.
PXL_20240329_235109451.jpg

Back