Travel sized crawler for hotel use?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil filled shocks on RC's this small, especially crawlers, is absolutely pointless. The whole reason for oil in a shock is to help control the bumps your car takes at speed. It only hinders performance in a crawler this size because you'd basically have to use alcohol to even be close to proper scale fluid consistency.

Every one of the aftermarket shocks don't allow for droop unless you increase your sprung weight by adding weight to the chassis, which ultimately raises your center of gravity, even if at full droop on your shocks. But every aftermarket shock I have seen have the truck sitting with the shocks fully extended. Even ones that have every available hopup Treal makes, along with aluminum battery trays, aluminum trans housings, etc. This is because the springs are far to stiff. You'd have better performance simply by removing the springs.

So the aftermarket shocks to me are only for show, and definitely not a beneficial performance upgrade. The best setup I have found on anything under 1/16 scale trucks is air shocks and very light springs, giving nearly full droop at rest. So the best shocks for the SCX24's is the stock shocks, hands down. You can achieve nearly full droop with them simply by adding an aluminum trans housing and center crossmember, which both sit fairly low in the chassis.

That's just my opinion.

This is nearly full droop, and the only weight added to the chassis is the PN Racing motor, motor mount, and gearset.
I agree 100%. They look cool but did absolutely nothing for performance.

I agree 100%. They look cool but did absolutely nothing for performance.
If you want your shocks to look cool, pull the stock ones apart and paint them 😉

They do come apart.

I added some brass down low. Not liking the tall shocks, too tippy. I took it out on the same rocks course and all it did was flip. Gonna go with the short ones.

View attachment 183388
Shorter shocks keep the Center of Gravity down low, bigger tires will give you back any clearance you lose. on these little rigs it makes a difference. Also if you want to run longer shocks just add more angle to them (less vertical).

Shorter shocks keep the Center of Gravity down low, bigger tires will give you back any clearance you lose. on these little rigs it makes a difference. Also if you want to run longer shocks just add more angle to them (less vertical).
That's what I've done with others. Changed the angle.

LGRP also has the limit strap that works great. That way you can run long shocks for flex and not have the suspension unload when climbing.

Or better yet. Watching a bunch of videos using the 43mm shocks with the springs removed. And change the mounting point.

Or better yet. Watching a bunch of videos using the 43mm shocks with the springs removed. And change the mounting point.
i have limiting straps, long double barrel shocks and the different angle. Flexes great and doesn't unload. I also added a 1up grease inside the shock which helps as well.

Yet another vote for the 24th Deadbolt or a AX24. I don't have a AX24 but I'm sure they are capable.

20230123_131721.jpg
20230205_103035.jpg
20200422_161644.jpg

About to be on a 2 month work trip. This is such a good idea for hotel boredom. Now y'all are making me spend more money!!! At only $109, the deadbolt will be mine. :D
One of the best little crawlers on the market. You will not be disappointed.

I have a AX24 XC1 with a Cliffhanger body. Fun little crawler. I'm taking it on vacation with me. Considering taking my 1/10 Redcat 4wd too. The 1/24 you can drive anywhere. I've took it all over the house, & books or pillows. Hot Wheels cars too

I have a AX24 XC1 with a Cliffhanger body. Fun little crawler. I'm taking it on vacation with me. Considering taking my 1/10 Redcat 4wd too. The 1/24 you can drive anywhere. I've took it all over the house, & books or pillows. Hot Wheels cars too
Got a cat? They are fun crawling obstacles too if you can hold them still long enough 😆

I think Doom runs over his cats with his lil guys.

Got a cat? They are fun crawling obstacles too if you can hold them still long enough 😆

I think Doom runs over his cats with his lil guys.
I have a male schnauzer. Uh he doesn't like it. He will 'bite it up' & bark till exhausted. I have a stone foot path out back. Perfect rock climbing for a 1/24

I have a male schnauzer. Uh he doesn't like it. He will 'bite it up' & bark till exhausted. I have a stone foot path out back. Perfect rock climbing for a 1/24
It's just the perfect scale for use anywhere. I still need to grab an AX34 to round out our collection.

I changed my mind about bringing the Gladiator. I got in my head about the Lipo batteries. I know it's nothing but it's just been bugging me.
So I got myself a Kyosho Mini-Z Land Cruiser. The body is outstanding. It runs on AAA batteries available anywhere. It's pretty small so it's packable. It's kind of perfect for the dedicated travel rig. Certainly good enough for what I want, though I do have some small mods planned. The springs on the shocks are way too stiff, causing it to sit too high, otherwise realistic with the tires fitting completely within the body like a real (stock) SUV.
So yeah I bought and modded a SCX24 which is cool and I convinced myself that I needed a Mini-Z, which is really nice and just makes my small collection a little bit more interesting.

Post in thread 'The "What did you buy today?" thread...'
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/the-what-did-you-buy-today-thread.88421/post-1433054

38F804E5-EA87-4645-B22A-C82C7D25B27E.png

As long as your having fun, that's all that matters. :)

I changed my mind about bringing the Gladiator. I got in my head about the Lipo batteries. I know it's nothing but it's just been bugging me.
So I got myself a Kyosho Mini-Z Land Cruiser. The body is outstanding. It runs on AAA batteries available anywhere. It's pretty small so it's packable. It's kind of perfect for the dedicated travel rig. Certainly good enough for what I want, though I do have some small mods planned. The springs on the shocks are way too stiff, causing it to sit too high, otherwise realistic with the tires fitting completely within the body like a real (stock) SUV.
So yeah I bought and modded a SCX24 which is cool and I convinced myself that I needed a Mini-Z, which is really nice and just makes my small collection a little bit more interesting.

Post in thread 'The "What did you buy today?" thread...'
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/the-what-did-you-buy-today-thread.88421/post-1433054

View attachment 186780

I got a Mini-Z. A car not a crawler though. They really are nice looking bodies on them. You should have plenty of fun with it around the hotel.

So I got myself a Kyosho Mini-Z Land Cruiser. The body is outstanding. It runs on AAA batteries available anywhere. It's pretty small so it's packable. It's kind of perfect for the dedicated travel rig.
I've owned a couple of the mini-z crawlers, they're surprisingly detailed and being able to run on AAA batteries is nice, especially if there isn't a near by LHS. Just be careful if you try to install LED lights, the holders are a little delicate. Other than that I kept mine stock, never had any problems.

And thank you @WickedFog for the write up on oil filled shocks, I tried some on an MN78 (basically 1/16) and I'm not sure if they really helped.

The Kyosho Mini-Z Land Cruiser is working just as expected. It has conquered pillow mountains across the southeast USA for 4 nights in a row so far. More to come to be sure. Highly recommended.

20240403_194850.jpg