tranny or clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballen

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
clutch was used but looked good. tranny used worked last year when i used it last . TRuck is a tmaxx was a 1.5 now 2.5 has foc in it .

starts good . ok at idal , give lil gas ok, give above 1/8 throtle just screams
flywheel is spinning . think something maybe wrong in tranny ? but really dont want to tear it apart if not needed. only have computer desk to work on my toys.

does your clutch bell spin or not?

yes ,and like the post says the flywheel is spinning also so the clutch bell has to be spinning if the flywheel is spinning, Right?

If the clutch does not engage properly, then the clutchbell does not have to be spinning even if the flywheel is.

When you start it up and give it some gas.
Is the spur gear spinning?
If not, then your issue is somewhere before that point.
Inside of the clutchbell may be glazed or clutch shoes may be frozen.

If yes, then your issue is somewhere at or after that point.
Is the tranny putting out power (is the output shaft spinning)?
If not, then the issue is somewhere between the spur gear and the tranny internals.
Check to see if the spur gear is slipping - is it turning the input shaft (to the tranny)?

Trace what has power and figure out where the loss of power occurs and you'll find the issue.

I had the same problem with my 1.5. I bought new clutch shoes and no go. Bought foc and no go. I then got fed up and rebuilt the tranny(new one way hub, new steel gears, and new slipper system) along with a new flywheel collett. My truck at one point would spin the spur gear and then at another point it would not spin the spur grear, just the flywheel. So if your spur gear is just spinning you need to look at the clutch and possibly the slipper. If your flywheel is spinning but your clutchbell is not then you need a new collett on the crankshaft. Also for some more room to work you might want to invest in a cheap picnic table that's like 7x3. I use it and it works pretty well. Hope this helps, Steve.

These are the clutch shoes I installed and they're awesome:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYNP5184

TGL is correct, you need to check when you rev the engine see if the clutch bell gear is spinning of if its just sitting still.. If its sittingg still then the clutch shoes in your bell are either worn out or just malfunctioning.

I would check the clutch bell and see if it is spinning if it is then your issue is in fact located somewhere else in the truck .

Just i recommend you just check when some others have stated to move on to the next step.

forgot to put in the friction pegs. changed to a mteal spure and did not put in the pegs.

Can you duhhhhhhhhhh:D

well thats a relief i bet haha, it happens... go tear things up !

ya i still have to take off the spure and put them in but i know for a fact that i did not put them dam pegs in .did not know i had to with a metal spure DAAAAAA

Back