Tmaxx or Savage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash-R.C

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know this thread has probably been around many time before but I am looking for either one of these Monsters. Can you tell me some Pros and Cons about each. I need information Fast as I might buy one this or next week.

Steve

I've heard good about both. I've only owned one in my life and it was the Maxx I bought a few months ago. I think you might be replacing parts sooner on the Maxx but it's a great truck.

Two HUGE reasons to buy a T-Maxx over a Savage.

1. Aftermarket support. You can literally build one, completely, with no Traxxas parts, all aftermarket stuff.
2. The new 2.5 is stupid fast and if you wanted to stay with
the stock engine, replacing it is cheap. $99 !!

Don't get me wrong, the Savage is a great truck for HPI's
first attempt and maybe it will reach the level of support and
success that Traxxas has achieved with the T-Maxx someday.
My money is on the Maxx, but couldn't go wrong with either of them.

I think I will go with the T-Maxx, I was talking with a friend and said that he will give me a free charger and battery if he helps me break it in.

Steve

Just remember to break it in properly..Theres different instructions for this engine over the old .15 pro !:wasted:

Good call on the new break in Tiny. Agree, the new 2.5 will be awesome only if properly broken in. I almost gave up on nitro when I broke mine in. Man, what beeotch.

Ya i hate breaking in engines..But Hey if its going to make it last longer and drive harder.Then I say OK.

T-Maxx for speed and aftermarket support. As said earlier, expect to be replacing parts fairly often.

Savage for durability and 21 ready, aftermarket is increasing rapidly as well.

I'd go with Savage.

I have had both and just sold my Maxx. Got a Savage on Saturday, a great truck and alot diffirent to the Maxx. Longer wheelbase 340mm compared to 300 to the Maxx. Bigger tires that grip on dirt like crazy. Shorter gearing for torque. I like the BB21 it has alot of grunt, I prefer torque over speed. Both trucks are great but I like the Savage alot more. Brutal shocks and easier to work on. Built like a brick poop house. Oh yes alot louder than the Maxx

Well I still haven't decided, so anyone want to convince me more?

Steve

tmaxx is made by duratraxx <----- :(

savage is made by hpi <--------- :yes:

I have a T-Maxx and seen the Savages go head on. My vote would go to a Savage.

It's .21 ready, add a bigger and better engine than the .21BB, you're faster than a T-Maxx. Durability would have to go to a Savage. A T-Maxx is a great truck, I owned a hopped up one. Great aftermarket support, but the Savage is starting to gain support also.

I have read my share of posts on both of these trucks. I too want a MT someday. The T-Maxx and the Savage 21 will be my choices as well.

#1 we're talkign stock vs stock

The T-Maxx will break. You will buy hop-ups. You will have a couple grand in it when all is said and done.

The Savage won't break as easy. You won't have to put as many hopups in it. The stock .21 BB, however, is gutless and yes the stock 2.5 T-Maxx is faster than the stock Savage 21.

However, add a sweet .21 engine (they make several beastly .21 engines for 1/8 buggies that will bolt right in) and the Savage will stomp the pewp out of any T-Maxx is sees. You have to modify you t-maxx in order to put any sort of .21 in it.

Savage 21 is true 1/8 scale where the T-Maxx is 1/10 scale.

Hopped up T-Maxx -> $2000
Hopped up Savage -> $1000

Hopped up Savage > Hopped up T-Maxx

Bottom line, I'm buying a Savage, when the time comes.

Welcome to best R/C forum on the web. :cheers:

-Rob

Last edited:
Well, there you go. Lots of good opinions on both trucks and one common thread is that none of the other trucks were spoken of. There are many other MT's out there but the top two have to be the Savage and the T-Maxx. So, if we can't necessarilly agree on which of these two to have, then I think we all agree that it there is really only two choices anyways.

Originally posted by untchbl
tmaxx is made by duratraxx &lt;----- :(

savage is made by hpi &lt;--------- :yes:

it's not Duratrax it's Traxxas

Originally posted by untchbl
tmaxx is made by duratraxx &lt;----- :(

savage is made by hpi &lt;--------- :yes:

Your smoken aregeno again as the T-Maxx is a Traxxas product.

I saw that but I wasn't going to say anything.

untchbl, don't sweat it man. we all make mistakes. I posted carb advice just a week ago. I found out last night I was doing it all wrong. :eek:pps: :sorry:

I could see how he confused DuraTraxx with Traxxas though. The names both got Traxx in them and they both are about equal in quality with the Traxxas's having a speed advantage.

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
I could see how he confused DuraTraxx with Traxxas though. The names both got Traxx in them and they both are about equal in quality with the Traxxas's having a speed advantage.

But Traxxas has better aftermarket support. I know.:OT:

they do and traxxas has awesome customer support. I just think of the quality of all the stock plastic stuff and those poopy screws and I think they are alike in that category.

Back