tmaxx engines

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro83857

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
which engine would be the best buy for my tmaxx

what are the pros and cons of these engines? i will be putting them in my tmaxx

TM323

O.S. 18

TRX 3.3

Honestly to go any further than the 2.5 is too much. Drivelines need to be stregthened... Diffs, bulkheads. Not that I am stopping you completely but read up the weakness the Maxx has.Great starter but I would upgrade..

I went with a orion Wasp .18. I was going to break it in last week but the damn Pull start broke, it will happen this weekend. I'll left you know

i ment to say TM523 instead of TM323

Last edited:
i run the OS 18 and i love it. I just finished up my truck last night from the latest installation of new parts and i am waiting till around 9 before i crank it up and run it around a little. (stupid neighbors)

the 3.3 hasn't caused too much carnage with my max, just a clutch. and it is only 130.00

Out of the 3 that you listed, the OS 18 would probably be the kindest to your drive line. That is if the OS 18 is the 18 cv-r and not the 18TM.

The other two will cause you diff, trans and axle problems in the long run.

walleye said:
I went with a orion Wasp .18. I was going to break it in last week but the damn Pull start broke, it will happen this weekend. I'll let you know

I got another pull start & actually got it running for about 5 minutes 1/4 tank of fuel. It died & we went to re-start it & the #$@&%!* Pull start broke again. :doh: :doh: :thumbdown :angry: :flaming: I'm gonna order the Tiger drive for it tomorrow.

I know the newer Maxx's now have the Revo drivelines and Tranny so the 3.3 would be a good upgrade. Which version maxx do you have? The newer ones have the Tranny and some chassis parts Grey instead of black. The axle carriers are Revo inspired as well. What else can I say? I have a Revo 3.3 and the only thing I am changing so far are the wheels and tires... different story though.

I am not sure if the Tmaxx can accept a big block but the ones said drop right in. Out of them I have only tried the 3.3 . Now the Sirio 23 was a monster even in break in. I wish I kept it now! If I start seeing problems, it will be in the clutch and spur gear.

I could use a little guidance on engine selection as well. Pro .15 with widemaxx conversion here and going to be looking for engine soon. May end up putting a used .15 fantom side exhaust on because I already have it, but all advice on affordable replacements is welcome.

I'd have to say the OS 18 CV-R(X). It should almost be a drop in for that truck. The pro 15 was a rotory carb standard/short shaft with a side exhaust wasn't it?

Olds, that engine *should* be a total drop in for the older maxx.

I say use the trx 3.3. It runs cool, so far its been really easy to tune, and has TONS of power!

The fantom .15 cut shaft is side exhaust and pull start with rotary carb. I think it may be my engine of choice. Anyone happen to know if the factory ezstart will bolt up easily?

i think the 3.3 is the way to go i have not heard of any problems
they are even putting it in a jato now