tmaxx 4949R cv installation problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRMAX93

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hey guys i bought a set of 4949R cvs for my tmaxx. it was originally a 2.5. and i upgraded the ENTIRE truck to a 4908. but the only thing i have left from a 2.5 is the chassis and wheels and body. i got all the 3.3 stuff motor 4909 tranny and the 4907 differentials. heres the issue, i even did searches and talked to some guys at traxxas.com. and the 4907 differentials the sealed type. and there pinions are shorter which wont work properly with my cvs they dont go far in the cup. so they guys at traxxas told me an option would be to simply change the pinion to a 4909, and it wasn't hard at all but the result was bad grinding noise. it turns but it makes a terrible sound. I'm guessing it does this because the 4907 diffs are new while the worn 4909 pinions dont mesh up quite right. but maybe itl be alright? what do you guys think. please reply and if yall think i should change the pinion to a newer 4909 pinion? thanks guys:whhooo:

If its grinding its not all right.You will tear up the gears in a hurry
I would see if you can find a longer yoke, cup what ever you want to call it.that will fit on the pinion shaft.that should take care of the problem.

i hope itl just wear in. idk if it will even help if i get a new 4909 pinion.

i hope itl just wear in. idk if it will even help if i get a new 4909 pinion.

wear in...thats what us millwrights call premature failure!

you need to lose that word..no good can come from it!!!

You could also find a longer cv shaft?
Are you useing a solid cvs or the sliding traxxas drive line??
i'm trying to get a picture of this..

i just installed the 4949R cvs look up the part number. i would post a pic if i could find out how to. but yea ur right i need to lose that word, but i really dont wana take that thing apart again for the 50th time. so does anyone know the part # for newer 4909 pinions. and would it even help...:\

I did some reading..lots of people seem to be having this problem(go figure its a traxxas thing)
I'm not a big fan as you mite see.
Some have slide a piece of fuel tubbing behind the yoke enough to push it out!1 to 1 1/2 mm

i have put washers between the yoke also it did sorta help

i have put washers between the yoke also it did sorta help

I wouldn't use washers.They will spin on the diff houseing and or the berring it self..And LOL (wear them in also)
The rubber fuel tube will only wear it self..No what a mean!

yea 10-4 man. so does anyone have a solution for this

It's not the best idea to mix and match pinions and ring gears. Kinda like the old sprockets/new chain thing on a dirt bike. There's no such thing as wearing in in this situation. Somethings wrong. As far as the shaft being too short, I'd just find one that fits with the pinion you started with. There must be one. Sorry can't help more. I like using stock center shafts for fuses. Cheap and easy to fix.

Ok what is the length of your drive shaft your trying to use?
we may be able to find a dog bone (cvs) a little longer.
Like a buggy cvs..

I'm not sure they are brand new 4949Rs made speciality for the 4909 tmaxx ill try and research the length thanks again

A ruler would probably save you some searching.:) Just determine how long of a shaft you need and I'm sure somebody will come up with something.

have got to be the most unprepared person...i dont have a ruler on hand lol. but traxxas says they are 85 mm but both cvs are not the same so leme do some more searching i suppose...

i do know for sure if i could find a 22mm or so cup for the bone it would work fine i could chnge the pinions back... just an idea:\

yea thats what ima have to find either a longer cup (the one that hooks up on the tranny), or longer dog bones. and I'm not even sure if the traxxas cvs are interchangeable.? need to find longer parts so i can just put the 4907 pinions back in no worries.... any help would be much appreciated

You don't a dial or dig caliper??
Every one that owns a rc needs a good calp.

http://www.msi-viking.com/dial_caliper/

get it and call me back lol

lol okay man I'm guessing just measure the dog bones? and or is it possible to get longer cups? i might pm you or something

don't know about the cups but there is all sorts of bones out there.
I am sure i can find what you need if you get me the mm or even ''

i need from cup to cup all the way to the rear of them ..don't worry i'll do the math lol..

don't know about the cups but there is all sorts of bones out there.
I am sure i can find what you need if you get me the mm or even ''

i need from cup to cup all the way to the rear of them ..don't worry i'll do the math lol..

Alright I tried to measure the bones. The one in the back is I'd say 70. And the one in the front is bout 65mm.

as far as measuring the entire cv on the truck its 88mm pushing the cvs together so the bones all the way in the cup, back is roughly 85 front 75

not sure if thatl work. not sure if the bones come out on the cv. this has been nothing but a pain in my rectum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!