tmaxx 3.3 optidrive & OFNA fail safe

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knall

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have the older 3.3 tmaxx, I wish to keep reverse.

I just purchased the OFNA failsafe to avoid run aways.

How would I use this in conjunction with the opdidrive sytem? Or should I just shitcan the optidrive and use only the ONFA ?

I am new, but having a fail safe seems like a good idea......... is the optidrive ONLY for reverse shifting safety? Does optidrive have other features? The ONFA fail safe locks the brakes if pretty much ANYTHING goes wrong. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks all!!

Sooner or later the Opti-Drive will start giving you problems. They always to. Just plug your failsafe into the throttle servo plug and into the receiver bypassing the Opti-Crap. Then you can remove it all together for a little weight savings.
Good luck!

As long as the truck isn't moving, you can shift. The opti-drive is for those who buy a $400 toy without any common sense. That's it's only purpose. It won't allow it to shift if the drive train is moving. The sad part is is that it's prone to freaking out and shifting on you for no reason while moving...

I'd ditch it and just run the fail safe.

Well I just tried to omit the optidrive. Problem is that the wiring is permanent to the throttle servo and the throttle input of the optidrive, and the wiring to the shift servo is also permanent.

So its not just some stuff I can unplug and stick in the fail safe..............

Anybody else got some experience w this?

There should be a plug that can easily be unplugged where the throttle servo wiring mates with the Opti-drive wiring. It is a simple matter of unplugging it and plugging the servo directly into the receiver. I can not understand why that is not so unless someone wired it direct but I can't see that happening. Yes, the servo end as well the throttle input ends are direct wired but there ARE plugs on the opposite ends.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quik reply........ but I figured it out without you hehe

Optidrive has been poop canned thanks all!!!

Here is a picture of the Opti-Drive unit. As you can see there are inline plugs.

Attachments

• trac5398.jpg
    trac5398.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 416
Mine has more teeth marks on it.

Thanks for the quik reply........ but I figured it out without you hehe

Optidrive has been poop canned thanks all!!!

Cool that! Don't forget--you can still shift into reverse but now you don't have the Opti-Drive to prevent it from happening while the truck is moving!

As long as the truck is stopped should it shift smoothly? I had been having some trouble shifting even w the optidrive...... I thought I may have been idling to high.... truck at a dead stop w brakes. Shift into reverse...... wait several seconds.... try to go ( still goes forward ) hit brakes again...... wait SEVERAL more seconds....... still in forward....... tap the gas..... brake...... tap the gas ...... brake....... tap the gas OHHHHH NOW I AM IN REVERSE!!!!

servo is working fine. Just doesn't wanna POP into gear

I have really good JR servos in my LST and still have issues with getting into and out of reverse. I guess that shall remain the bane of any nitro with reverse. Just make sure you are at a complete stop before attempting to go into reverse and all is well. If not you will be stripping gears sooner rather then later.

You ae correct--the Opti-Crap never did do its job as Traxxas intended. I guess they figured it would help...

Need any additional help please don't hesitate to throw it out on the forum!

Last edited:
As I undersatnd it ( from searching here ) the optidrive "fail safe" ONLY kicks in if the reciever ( truck ) batteries start to die. It does nothing about all the other problems IE transmiter batteries (hand contol) die, radio interferance (power lines ect) you go out of radio range, other person on your frequency, and I am sure I am forgetting some other scenarios.

Bottom line NO THE OPTIDRIVE FAILSAFE IS NOT ENOUGH, get a real failsafe.