throttle sticking???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knemo77

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a tmax and the throttle arm keeps breaking...leaving it open and heading off into outer space....my question is is there a stronger set-up avaliable or is there a way to set a kill switch onthe truck if anything goes wrongit shuts off....or how bout a kill switch period?

i am new to nitro and to turn the truck off i pull the fuel line...is this wrong?

does anybody know a place to get good FAQ answers? glow plug info...carb setups......ect.

i bought the truck off a guy and did not receive any information......it is a traxxas tmax that is heavily modified.

thanks in advance.

Well I couldn't tell you exactly why it's breaking off but I can tell you there is a thing called a failsafe that might work. What it does is if the receiver doesn't get a signal, interference, or batteries are low, it will automatically switch on the brakes and the truck won't move. This wouldn't help your problem but it is a must.

What would help yer problem is a throttle return spring, in your case, when the thing breaks off, the throttle return spring would kick in automatically and bring the engine to idle. It's also good if you leave your receiver off so the truck won't move (assuming at idle your clutch doesn't engage)

Only bad thing with pinching the fuel line to stop the engine is that engine will run lean for just a split second which isn't good for the engine. But you probably won't see any change in performance. A good way to stop the engine would either to put your finger on the flywheel and stop it that way, or cover the carb or exhaust. Covering the carb or exhaust will slightly flood the engine, but it's better than pinching the fuel line since the engine will still be slightly lubed...

As for instructions, you can contact traxxas and have them send you an instruction manual.

Can't say what causes your problem but you can prevent the runaway issue by installing a failsafe. I know that these do not ativate if a linkage breaks but in that case you may have time to just turn off the transmitter and that would activate the failsafe and slam on the brakes.

Which part of the throttle assembly is breaking? Is it the arm on the servo or the arm on the engine? Does your linkage have the appropriate collars and springs on it? Usually they're there to soak up any tension if your servo moves too far. And I would put a throttle return spring on there just to make sure the truck doesn't go too far if the linkage breaks again.

the arm tothe engine is breaking...intook everything apart today because i was running her and the engine came off the mounts ripping the crap out of the tranny wheel.

i fixed evrythingand fabricated a new arm out of spare parts....it looks tough enough.

I think the problem was that the guy before me had the carb not exactly straight....so it pulled at a funny angle and put stress on it.

but my new links look good and the carb is straight

also i have a sirio 18 engine in there so it is not stock at all.

3cc!!!!!!!super powerfull engine

Well, I hope you got it fix because I don't know what piece you are refering to. From what you posted it could be the linkage rod (unlikely to break), the rod end or the lever on the carb.
At any rate, if the engine mounting bolts where lose, that's Bad.:stupid:

Originally posted by LarryA
Well, I hope you got it fix because I don't know what piece you are refering to. From what you posted it could be the linkage rod (unlikely to break), the rod end or the lever on the carb.
At any rate, if the engine mounting bolts where lose, that's Bad.:stupid:

the mount was stripped and i have ordered another from ebay.

i just got the truck and am new to nitro so be patient with me.

No problem. Just trying to understand what your problem is. Let us know if you need any other help. Also, welcome to R/C Nitro Talk

What engine is this? A fail safe won't do nothing for this situation, fail safe only come in play when there is electrical issues(low battery and radio interferences). The carb might be in a angle that the linkage is pulling and putting force on it, causing it to break or the linkage is set up wrong. I would definitly hook up a throttle return spring(ON ENGINE) for safety, put on on the throttle control arm...

I beg to differ here. Granted, a failsafe will not cure his problem but should the problem arrise with one installed you can purposely activate the failsafe by just turning off the transmitter. That was my only point of even suggesting it, also, a failsafe is never a waste of money for a nitro R/C. He has some odd problem, I've never seen a throttle linkage fail on any kind of a regular basis. I can only guess that he has a bad coupling or his linkage is that far out of align that it stresses the connections.

I already posted it in another thread, but I'm having the same problem, except nothing's breaking, the screw and nut attaching the servo to the carb(well, not just the carb, it's the part of the servo that attaches to the servo horn and the carb, I think you know what I mean)Is there a little part in there that makes it so it can swivel but is still all the way tightened? By the way, my car is a Yokomo GT-4 RTR. Thank you in advance.

Dont remove the fuel line from carb to stop truck, not good, leans out to much and yuou might spill some gas on the head, and could start a fire, never know. But i have the original T-maxx and thi things been through hell and back. Never broken a throttle linkage, but I'm sure they make beefier ones. Good luck

If the linkage is actually breaking, then you basically have a carb lever just hanging out in space. I attach a small spring from the carb lever to the engine block so that the carb will close if the linkage breaks. Associated gas truck come that way, so I did it to my HPI MT Racer and my Rustler. Should work with almost any engine.

EB

Back