Throttle Return Spring Installation

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketeebo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm guessing someone can help me install a Throttle Return Spring. I got one but it doesn't have any instructions or anything. Someone Please Help!! Thank you in advance!!

:n00bie:

RC that this is going on?
Engine, more specifically carb type (slide or rotary) that this is going on?

I didn't know what you would need to know..

FS-12SS engine
TGS chassis

not sure what carb it is. check out my picture gallery I have some pictures there.. thanks. I hope this helps

The picture helped out a lot. Nice clean on road racer.

The engine has a rotary carb. When the throttle arm is positioned so that the carb is closed (ie when the engine has no throttle on), that is neutral and that is the position you want the carb to return to via the throttle return spring.

Mount one end of the spring on the throttle arm. I mount mine to the pin on the throttle linkage that goes through the throttle arm.

Mount the other end of the spring to a chassis fixture that will make the spring want to close the carb (pull the throttle arm to a closed position). This might require some creativity. Your shock towers are in a good location for it. You might be able to mount it to one of the screws that holds your radio box lid on. Either way, the object is for the spring to work against the servo and pull the throttle closed.

thanks for the info I appreciate it. could I possibly see a picture of your set up? I do a lot better when I see what I would be trying to do. Thanks A Lot!!

My set up would not help too much. I run monster trucks and buggies. The sight image would not be anything close to your ride.

This is from a RC10GT but it will give you a general idea of how to mock it up. It came with the little eyelett but you can really tie it to anything.

3633return_spring.jpg

Hope it helps

VB

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, try to mount it to a spot so that the spring in in direct line with the throttle so you don't bend the throttle arm.

Just make sure throttle is pulled closed by spring if radio or battery dies, otherwise it is useless. With engine off, test it by using radio and going to WOT position, then turn radio off. Throttle spring should pull throttle back to idle.

How much do they hurt the throttle servo? Not as much as slamming into a curb at WOT I know, but what kind of strain do you think they put?

I would venture to guess that it's no more strain than tapping the brakes. It depends on the spring and how strong it is. Just make sure it pulls it back to idle when the power is cut off. If it's to strong for your servo, get a better servo or a softer spring.

The strain on the servo is minimal depending on the servo. If the servo is a weak servo, expect it to not like the TRS. Most stock throttle servos can handle a TRS without difficulty and little to no long term ill effect.

In the end, you may want to get a slightly better throttle servo...but the TRS should not be the reason. A faster servo for better throttle response should be the reason.

Back