thinking of buying Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td-civ

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm thinking of buying thinking of buying Savage what are the pros and cons with it i have a full custom t-maxx and know i want to build a custom Savage is there alot out there for the truck

I'm feeling bad for you that no one has answered your question.

The stock .21 BB is not very powerful. One member on the board purchased an 8-port along with his Savage and never ran a drop in his stock mill. I think other than upgrading to CVD's and a few other minor hop-ups, the chassis is a solid investment.

Aside from the engine, I can't really speak with authority about the Savage 21 because I don't own one. I just know I've seen a lot of happy Savage 21 owners on the board. In general, it's stronger than the T-Maxx and is true 1/8th scale (.21 engine, etc).

Good Luck,
Rob

Well I dont own a Tmaxx, but from what everyone is saying, Everything they dont like about the Tmaxx they like about the Savage. There are plenty of Hop ups out for the Savage. An engine is a good place to start. Since its heavier than the Tmaxx its a little slower, with the stock mill.

From all the posts I've read from People who own Both a Savage and TMaxx, They say they like the Savage a little bit more. But most of them have sunk too much money into the Tmaxx to just forget about it.

Buy one

If you think you like the Savage ..buy it. I'm, speaking from experence I dumped alot of money in a few other cars and trucks. the guys at my LHS told me about the savage so I took there word for it. Man was i glad I did. it is the best RTR truck out there. It is so strong with out any hop ups. If you know how to drive it will not break hardly at all. But if you take it to the limits you will need to do a few things.As far as the stock motor, its ok just a little slower than the hyper 8 port wich I bought cause people told me it was much faster. For the money its not really that much better. Here's why, they dont make a rotor start for it yet and the cooling head is also part of the head button, that means to upgrade heads it will cost u more. If you change motors get the pico26 the roto start fits right on it and the one way bearing for the starter is external unlike the hyper. so if it goes out like mine did you have to buy a turbo fan for 25 bucks if you can find it. CVD's all the way around and shocks is really all you need to kick but on any track, things like a pipe and skid plates are nice along with any other trick stuff you might already do helps. But I'm telling you every time I use my savage I am glad I bought one. It hardly ever needs fixing. I put the stock 21bb in my duratrax axis buggy and man is it strong and fast nuthin wrong with keeping it for a while until it konks out, but it is a good motor for RTR In short GET THE SAVAGE you wont regret it!!!!!!

Last edited:
The savage is pretty cool. I only have mine about two months or so but I've had no real problems with it. I did buy a roto start that went bad quickly but the LHS replaced it and no problems since (think it was defective). Th etruck hsa its good and bad points the same as anything else. In stock mode, it is slower than the T-Maxx but to me speed is not everything. It goes fast enough for where I run it. The Roto Start and Reverse Module are optional $$ items. They claim the factory dogbones are weak but mine are still intact and the kit actually came with a spare set of 4 dogbones. The factory shock oil is way thin and the factory spring are on the light side. With most pickup or open back bodies the top of the engine head is prone to damage in flips/rollovers if not protected. HPI opted to make the kit with a composite plastic pipe, which kinda sucked. The factory body has an assembly line type body paint job (all the same) and the windows are even painted over and simulated by decals. Upgrades are picking up (just check eBay under "hpi savage" search. My brother has a T-Maxx and the Savage is larger out of the box. It is a 1/8 scale and not a 1/10. Overall, I'm glad I bough the Savage. I installed the reverse module, rotor start, a motor saver air filter, 5 cell 6V receiver pack, changed shock oil (AE Silicon) to 35W 0- front; 40W - rear, fabricated my own fuel tank gaurd, inline fuel filter, hiteck MG steering servo, hiteck throttle servo, Tekin 3 channel FM Receiver, and replaced body with HPI 73 Bronco body (pics in my gallery). This is where I stand now, broke and no money to buy more stuff. "That Sucks!" Next upgrades are to be new heavier springs, adjustable upper arms, better turnbuckles. Considering it is an RTR truck and as prices go now, I think it is a good investment in fun. Anyway, I had a couple guns I never used so I sold them and bought the Savage.:p

ok well i want to biuld it from hop up parts because thats how i did my t-maxx i have a os motor and wheels and a jr r-1 pro for it
os if you guys can help me out with sites that can help me that woul be cool