thinking about making my LMT digger 4WS tips appreciated

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpslash667

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
hey all, so i wanna make my digger 4 wheel steer, I'm gonna get the front housing and all i would need, would i have to upgrade to like a futaba to make this acutally work out? the stock DX3 it comes with isint capable is it? my flysky is, but its too much of a hassle to make it work fluid with it.

hey all, so i wanna make my digger 4 wheel steer, I'm gonna get the front housing and all i would need, would i have to upgrade to like a futaba to make this acutally work out? the stock DX3 it comes with isint capable is it? my flysky is, but its too much of a hassle to make it work fluid with it.
Which Flysky? I have the GT5 and the 4ws function in it is awesome.

Chris I believe has Futaba 4PM Plus's in stock. I'm not too familiar with rear wheel steer. But what I would do is get a servo Y cable, and run both servos on channel 1 like normal. And somehow reverse the rear servo? Or it could be normal and it should turn the other direction then the front servo.

Confusing how this works. I just confused myself. Lol.

I wonder how to reverse 1 servo while running 2 servos off of channel 1? I have no idea.

Chris can help you out, he ran monster trucks in the past.

Chris I believe has Futaba 4PM Plus's in stock. I'm not too familiar with rear wheel steer. But what I would do is get a servo Y cable, and run both servos on channel 1 like normal. And somehow reverse the rear servo? Or it could be normal and it should turn the other direction then the front servo.

Confusing how this works. I just confused myself. Lol.

I wonder how to reverse 1 servo while running 2 servos off of channel 1? I have no idea.

Chris can help you out, he ran monster trucks in the past.
You would flip the + and - wires on the servo you want to reverse.

Which Flysky? I have the GT5 and the 4ws function in it is awesome.
If you use it for crawling it's great, for an LMT when you gotta steer fast it looks complicated since you have to keep choosing different settings everytime you wanna turn, Unless I'm missing something. Mines the gt5

If you use it for crawling it's great, for an LMT when you gotta steer fast it looks complicated since you have to keep choosing different settings everytime you wanna turn, Unless I'm missing something. Mines the gt5
It's been awhile (5 years or more) since I played with it on mine. But if I remember correctly, it worked great. You just toggle it with channel 3 if you set it up that way. I will have a look at it later and report back.

I use a gt5 for rear steer on one of my crawlers. I dont use the 4ws function, i just have the rear servo controlled through ch6, that way i can steer the front with my thumb on the wheel, and rear independent control with my right hand

It's been awhile (5 years or more) since I played with it on mine. But if I remember correctly, it worked great. You just toggle it with channel 3 if you set it up that way. I will have a look at it later and report back.
Oh ok, I mean my channel 3 is only a single press button.

Right. That turns the 4ws on and off. Typically, you don't use crab steer in a monster truck, so that is really all you need.
I see what your saying now, I was overthinking it

You would flip the + and - wires on the servo you want to reverse.

⁉️

Doing this will most likely destroy any servo you try it on...

i tried that before and it burnt the servo up

You need to open up the servo, reverse the polarity to the motor, AND to the potentiometer. I did this exact mod to accomplish 4WS with my Everest-10 build and it works. I physically flipped the circuit board inside the servo and soldered the potentiometer in through the holes on the opposite side to flip it.

You can also get a inline servo-reverser, which is just a little chip that flips the PWM signal.

Doing the above wouldn't give you the option to toggle 4WS, but it would let you accomplish it with the same transmitter / receiver you have now, you would just wire both servos to Ch.1

Last edited:
update, installed it worked fine, didn't like it, so I switched back. It's got its pros and cons, pros its fun if you want to do like monster jam-ish freestyle runs, and it turns a lot better, cyclones are fun to pull off. Cons, if you wanna add a little speed to it, it'll just go where ever it wants to go. almost uncontrollable. I even went to doublecheck to see if I installed it right and I did. The other con, idk if its because of my reciever setup, but i can't change the endpoints of the rear servo. so i'll switch it back if I ever want to show off and such, But bashing I'm gonna keep it 2 wheel steer. It does look cool though.

20230520_194308.jpg

Last edited:
update, installed it worked fine, didn't like it, so I switched back. It's got its pros and cons, pros its fun if you want to do like monster jam-ish freestyle runs, and it turns a lot better, cyclones are fun to pull off. Cons, if you wanna add a little speed to it, it'll just go where ever it wants to go. almost uncontrollable. I even went to doublecheck to see if I installed it right and I did. The other con, idk if its because of my reciever setup, but i can't change the endpoints of the rear servo. so i'll switch it back if I ever want to show off and such, But bashing I'm gonna keep it 2 wheel steer. It does look cool though.

View attachment 166046
You should be able to set the endpoints. How did you have it setup?

@WickedFog , I have a flysky gt5 I had the rear servo on channel 3, I tried everything in the settings it would just adjust the front servo no matter what I tried. Is what it is, I'll just use it if I wanna do a trick session lol

Back