tempurature recomended 300-320?!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I read his at the traxxas site (TRX .15 PRO). It seems to me that my engine runs best around 280-290, but following the general rule of thumb I am trying to get it to run 250-270 without much luck It just wants to run right below or at 300deg So I went to get the factory settings and came across this \/

To tune the engine for maximum power. Turn the mixture screw in (clockwise) 1/16 of a turn and continue driving. Note any increase in speed and performance. Continue to lean the fuel mixture in 1/16 turn increments until :

1) There is no longer any performance increase or
2) The engine begins to cut out at high speed or
3) The engine begins to overheat

If you are using a digital temperature gauge, the Pro .15 tuned for performance runs in the range of 300° to 320° F.

:

I know this is what they reccomend, but is it safe? Having a hard time beleiving traxxas recomending these temps.

For that particular engine, you have to work really hard to get performance at temperatures other than that. The TRX Pro .15 is a hot running engine. I think it was designed that way. If your engine is a TRX Pro .15 and is running well at the 280 to 290 mark, consider that a good thing and keep it there. Any thing cooler and you are probably running slobbering rich or have an aftermarket cooling head and are running rich.

Yup, that seems right. I read another guys post about his Fantom engine, and they reccomended something like 340F to 360F

My first one back in the day ran very good at those temps, until the rod came apart at wot, then...silence, lol. Anyway, I could never get it to run good in the lower 200s, 280-290 was the norm.

I have heard that the smaller engines do run hotter than that of their bigger cousins. When they talk of maximum power, they're talking lean. Max power is going to be a lean tuned engine. Keep in mind that those numbers, albeit correct for that particular engine, won't go over well with other engines.

OK here's another for you.

When I hit the throttle to take off the RPMS dip then it takes off.

I put it up on a stand with the same result. A brief pause (dip in rpms) then it starts to move up in rpm, and from half throttle on acceleration is instant.

I am wondering if that is lean, or rich on the low end? It's just too damned hard for me to tell.

Coming down from a high speed run it does the same, once it goes to idle, sometimes if I hit the throttle hard and quick, it will just die.

Are you getting some smoke when you hit it? If not, it may be too lean. Easy test for LSN is: run truck around and let warm up good, make some power passes then bring truck in and let idle down. Pinch fuel line; if it dies immediately, LSN is too lean.

In LSN pinch test, engine should run for 3 to 5 seconds, speed up a little, then die. If it keeps idling for longer than 5 seconds with line pinched, then you are probably too rich. Pinch test is very easy to do and will get you in the ballpark for LSN setting.

I think it is probably too lean on the low end. A simptom is the fast idle that takes a few seconds to die down. That makes jumping hard too. Chevy-ss advice is right on. You probably need 1/8-1/4 richer on the lsn.

Where would you find an engine's factory-recommended running temp?

Let me dig up a linkHere you go

Its below their little temp-O-meter graphic.