T-Maxx with a bunch of Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoggdog

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
One of my friends is got this Traxxas T-Maxx, well I think it is a t-maxx, I will post pics below. Well anyways this truck has a lot of problems
1. front driver side drive shaft broke off were the drive shaft starts to come off of the truck
2. missing a bunch of screws to hold all the things together
that is all for right now but I would also like to know what kind of shocks are on this truck and what the shocks names are.
SANY0315-Copy.jpg

SANY0324.jpg

SANY0322.jpg

this is where the driveshaft snapped off and I was wondering what part would fix this
SANY0321.jpg

SANY0320.jpg

SANY0319.jpg

SANY0320.jpg

SANY0317.jpg

SANY0316.jpg

SANY0314.jpg

That is a T Maxx model 4910.
The shocks are ebay noname brand.
That truck desperately needs a cleaning & a new air filter assembly before you try to run it.
Look at your second to last pic, the air filter neck has holes in it, dirt will suck right thru them & kill the engine if it hasn't already.
Can't really tell from the pic but it looks like the inner drive shaft yoke is broken, ebay for set of diveshafts that will be drop in.
It reaaly needs a tear down, cleaning & fix/replace what needs fixed/replaced. Most of the screws are 3mm.
Here are the exploded views for your truck,
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/4910_explodedviews_transmission-2008_0.pdf
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/4910_explodedviews_rear-2008_0.pdf
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/4910_explodedviews_front-2008_0.pdf
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/4910_explodedviews_chassis-2008_0.pdf

Driveshaft set for your 4910 truck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-491...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebf5d904f

BurnoutSmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh give the thing a clean. might be an idea to start pricing together parts and possible look at a new motor. is that the factory motor that came with it? surly its past its used by date and seen better days?

so far you should look for *to suite*
new air filter
new shocks
new motor? (trx3.3 should drop in, might need new engine mount/exhaust?)
spare bolts?
new radio system or at least a fail safe if it doesn't already have one
fuel
glow plugs
new servos if those ones aren't working or at least a back up cuz they might not last long?
drive shafts (buy a pair)

The only thing you should worry about right away IMO is a bottle of simplegreen and 3 or 4 rolls of papertowels. I thought I ran my rigs dirty!! WOW!! That said once she gets cleaned go with a new airfilter, glowplug wire, and the driveshaft. Theres no sense of pouring a ton of aftermarket into it if it wont start. At least with the driveshaft and airfilter replaced you have an outside chance to get it started and see what else might need replacing. On a side note you may wanna delete some of these pics before Rolex sees them. A dirty rig is like a domestic disturbance to him. He's bound to call the authorities on you!! :)

Imo you should get a phillips head a 2, 2.5 and a 1.5mm hex t handle and break it down to bare chassis for 2 reasons. 1 being tmaxx is the easiest to do and you will learn all about it and exactly what all parts you will need. 2 it needs it for a thorough cleaning. Depending on how cheep you got it you may want to consider the upgrade to the 3.3 extended chassis version for a much better handling truck.

If that was sitting in my garage, I'd be scared! You were probably correct in your description that "this truck has a lot of problems"! Your friend is probably going to spend more to fix it up that it's worth.

Ahhh come on. It aint that scary unless you name is Rolex. I would buy it and fix it up all new again. But i wouldnt pay more than $50 for it!

Oh wow, you may want to save some funds for a new engine. With the air filter with holes something has sure to been sucked up. An that fuel tank, bet
You he dropped some crud in there

That's a rough maxx. Full year down and cleaning after checking to see if it starts and runsgood. The tear down and detailing will allure you to see what else is you're up on it.

clean it the best you can as it sits .
through some new battrys in it and see if the servos work, I would do this befor tear down ,I would buy new filter and see if the the engine will start ,I know people will tell you tear it down and check it out but again no reason to do that yet .so you do not put it back together and then find out they are bad and you have to pull them off again.

Yeh as above. Check vitals first before tear down. If servos/electric/motor doesn't work then your gonna have to replace a fair bit.

Kyleb what are you talking about? My maxx with the dynamite engine and the holes drilled in the filter housing? Think about it. For one the filter is still doing its job under the holes and two the stock housing breathes alot better and fact performed better until i did replace it recently with a high flow filter. Plus its not my rig the guy is trying to get info on. I was just posting pics of mine after i converted it to a extended chassis from a 4910 2.5. Read the entire thread.