T-maxx clutch pucks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave63

How many people smoked the new 4908 stock T-maxx 3.3 clutch pucks already? Man....I only ran 9-10 tanks of fuel through this thing, and today, while running it up the field behind the house, it all of a sudden, revved really high and stopped moving.

Found the pucks half gone and all broken. My neighbor's has a broken puck as well.

I read that running them at high speeds in grass is pretty hard on the drivetrain and can contribute to them breaking?

Mine seemed to have a loose clutch (slipper) adjustment since I got it.

It ran fine again after retightening it, but I'll need some new pucks.....:\

Last edited by a moderator:
pucks.... interesting.

I've NEVER heard a clutch shoe referred to as a "puck".

You're right, the parts list calls it a "shoe" and another one calls it a "slipper pad".

Real cars (Race style clutches) that have a clutch like this, they're called "pucks", or a puck style clutch disc.

Sorry if I ruined your night.........:D

I was thinking he meant the slipper pads. Still never heard them called "pucks".

If you have to change the pads, might want to take the time to do some simple mods. I'm not sure if they changed the slipper from the original Maxx tranny. But in the old days, we would either mod the slipper by adding the remaining 6 slipper pegs to fill the spur and improve the grip. Or some would even get 1/8 scale diff balls to pop into the holes in the spur to make it more like a ball diff.

EDIT: Well, after reading your post I see that I'm wrong. Please ignore my diatribe...

I'm not sure if they changed the slipper from the original Maxx tranny...

Not sure myself. I can see it's the same clutch as the T-maxx 2.5, with the 3slipper pads, pt# 5253.

The material is "flakey" and weak, IMHO. (almost like brake or clutch material) You'd think someone would have come up with something a little better.

Maybe they DO last longer, but I'm kinda relating my failure more on the slipper was too loose, and the grassy, high speed passes to boot.....

You're right, the parts list calls it a "shoe" and another one calls it a "slipper pad".

Real cars (Race style clutches) that have a clutch like this, they're called "pucks", or a puck style clutch disc.

Sorry if I ruined your night.........:D

I think you might mean clutch pack.

The harder you run the faster stuff breaks... IMO if the clutch is slipping on a regular basis it will burn out.

theres a buncha aftermarket clutches on ebay........darn links never seem to work so just search ebay for "tmaxx clutch"

Last edited:
Wouldn't replacement Robinson Racing slipper clutch discs remedy that problem? Or better yet, replace the whole thing with a RR dual disc slipper clutch setup, like I did.

are you talking about clutch ot the slipper plate? 2 differant things.

Slipper clutch pads on the spur gear. Replaced it with stock again. Less then $8. If nobody makes anything aftermarket, I'll make something on my own. The 3 pads that make the contact are soft and flakey.

I checked Ebay and there's nothing for the slippers, but a million items for the bell-clutch.

It's easy enough to get to, so I may try different materials and experiment with another type of material for the pads.

Found this...... for $69, Destrucktomaxx.

http://www.rchobbies.com.au/store/p...14773&osCsid=cf9f2905af71a0cc65bccd82405f6b43

dude thats a ripoff I just got one for $30 shipped on ebay....

Its a great item though!! Just makesure you use plenty of loctite on the screws.

Don't waste your time with a plastic gear?! Wtf are you talking about man? Out of everything, you should keep the plastic gear. It serves as a protection device where as the steely won't, it also spins straight, where as the steel gear is imbalanced. Its just a better setup all round.

Back