T max 3.3 problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pike

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi every body. I'm fairly new to the rc stuff. Recently bought a t max 3.3 of a friend he's had it sitting in his shed gathering dust, I took it to the local shop they got it running and tuned it up for me. I took it out today was running great for about 45-1 hour then it stopped moving completely, it was idling fine revved the engine but no drive at all forward or reverse. Brang it home and now it won't start as everytime I put the ez start in it turns once then the led motor light goes out and nothing. Any ideas what the problems are? Any help is great thank you.

did you strip a spur gear?thats the big one on the tranny,as for the cheesey start it sounds like a dead battery.

There isn't any teeth missing from it. Battery's now on charge so hopefully that's all that is.

well if the maxx was running and not moving it has nothing to do with the battery,the battery only gets the engine started,...did you check the whole gear?alot of times its only a small spot thats stripped!....when u get i started rev the engine and see if the spur gear spins,if it does then u probly snapped a pin or something in the tranny,if it does not spin then the clutch is not working at all,

Iv checked the whole cog and there is a section where 4 teeth are missing. And The cog doesn't spin at all when I rev the engine.

go get a new spur gear bud,and if possible get a few of em

One the clutch bell gets to the point where 4 teeth are missing on the spur it has nothing to turn against...You need a new spur gear at the least.

Nice one. Thanks very much :) ill get it sorted tomorrow.

go get a new spur gear bud,and if possible get a few of em

i have used a single spur for the whole life of motor. Make 100% sure u get your mesh set right or else u will b changeing it again in about 5 mins.

May also want to check the slipper clutch. If it loosened itself out then it will just rev up and not move. Has happened to me

In my past experience when your only missing a few teeth on the Spur gear the transimission may also have some damage or a rock got stuck in the drive train than the Engine/Clutch only ripped thru those few gears that were in contact with the spur gear when the drive train locked up.

With the truck up on a stand roll both rear tires forwards and backwards listening for grinding sounds in the drive train or transmission. In most cases all 4 tires should all spin at the same time. I would test the whole drive train before I started to just buy a Spur Gear because you may need additional parts. If your truck has a reverse gearing Transmission with the Transmitter and receiver on switch the truck into reverse and perform the same test. This will make sure your drive train did not sustain any damage when those teeth on spur gear stripped.

Last edited:
btw,where did u come up with that name?thats what people call me where I'm from!

i have a trx2.5 engine but seems to only run when throttle is half open if i tinker with the high speed and low speed enough ill get it right enough to run half way good but when i back throttle down it dies i do have a seal bad on my gas tank is this the problem? it happend all of a sudden it wasn't when it was wide open ether it was like i woke up on day and this happend.