spool

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tytmax

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
after installing a rear spool in my tmaxx 2.5 i destroyed my stock axles. next upgrade was 3.3 axles, carriers, and turnbuckles to find out i had the same problem. finaly i installed integy cvd's (wich i know integy sucks but at $20 a pair i figured worth a try). well those twisted also, the slipper clutch is back off 1/4 turn so I'm puzzled what to do. I'm about to just sell the thing but i got alot of money in her. any suggestions?

You could try the Traxxas metal CVD's. The blue rubber boots keep all the dirt out and they're about 4mm thick so no breaking.

Spools are known to be tough on driveshafts, but unless you physically changed a gear there won't be any ratio changes.

With a spool, you're gonna have to bulletproof everything. Let me ask this, what advantage is the spool giving you? is it worth upgrading every piece of the drivetrain? Before selling, I'd put it back to stock, pick up some new 3.3 axles and go with that setup. I would imagine it'll hold together prety good with that setup. If my 2.5 with a Picco is still running strong on a 2.5 drivetrain, I'd think it could handle quite a bit of torque. I just swapped out my center drives because I found a great deal on a set.

Last edited:
i really enjoy the spool, like to slide it around and rip it in a sand bank quite often so it does alot of hillclimbing, maybee back the slipper off some more? the integy's are about 4mm thick and have blue
boots also

Anything from Integy isn't worth crap. Their warranty is also nonexistent. I have the Traxxas CVD's and love them. They're very smooth and durable. Plus, you know you won't have any fitting problems.

I twisted the ends on my spool in my E-Revo, so don't feel bad. I'd honestly say, ditch the spool and slip some bad horsie diff lock grease in the box and be done with it. It will give you SOME movement in the diff, but not much. Just enough to be like a locker.

just got off the phone with tower hobbies and there sending me a new set free of charge
, not a fix on the prob though

Last edited:
sounds like you got yourself in a pickle, and as fun as spools are they are brutal on everything (even in real race cars) you might be better off just putting something a little more sticky in the rear rather than locking it up.

guess ill have to, unfortunetly.

Quick question... Are you running the spool on the street?

never breaks on the street, only in the dirt, even the stock axles held fine

never breaks on the street, only in the dirt, even the stock axles held fine

That sounds odd. Unless the looser surface allowed some tire slippage and then hooked up, causing some big loads on the axles. Lockers are for drag racing, tractor pulls and rock crawling. I ran one for a while in my E Maxx and all it did was make it handle squirrely. And break my axles. No benefits in the dirt were even close to off setting these problems.