speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats awesome nitro! What kinda speed you get outta that bad boy?

When we raced on an on road track (local lot that we set up every Sunday), we hit speeds of 53-56 mph on the strait, and took the wide sweeper at the end of the strait at that speed.
The NTC3's couldn't take the turn at full speed, but the Kyosho's (rr & rrr's) and Mugens could.
The Highway patrol would come to watch, and shoot the cars on the strait with his radar.
The fastest car on the strait I believe was a NTC3 @ 61 MPH before he had to slow down for the turn.
I ran a JP modified .12/ 5port outlaw, the tc3 had the same mill but a .15 with a 3 port, but had higher gearing than the Kyosho's.

My Outlaw Fusion has a modified Nova Rossi .28 burning .40% nitro with a tricked out 3- speed tranny ( altered shift points ) optional topend -speed pinion gear on it with a final gear ratio appox 3.4

Last edited:
You get bored in the state of Indiana in the wintertime and you come up with outrageous winter projects!! I also put pivot ball suspension on it all around.

Last edited:
Wow!

So can someone post the link where the car did 160? I know a couple of years back a mag did something with the HPI Super RS4 that had a custom motor and custom gearing. It only hit a little over 100. I know with brushless you can do some sick speed but seriously to do a 160 you need some serious downforce to keep it on the ground. I am curious to read up on how they set up the car.

Also I have seen NTC3's hit 65mph with my setup at the track. I run a NTC3 team kit with a RB 5 port Turbo .12 non-modded. I have yet to clock mine but I would say mine does at least 55. As for NTC3's not being able to take fast sweepers that must be because the set was not dialed in.

Lastly, modifying a high end motor is not worth the money unless you are seriously competing. Out of the box with a little Mothers and some patience you can run serious speeds. All modding usually does is manipulate your power curve which for the weekend racer and parking lot basher is not worth the money. I would spend it on good rubber, springs, body, set up tools etc to get the suspension to work as intended.

Just my .02 cents.

I don't use rubber tires this motor rips them right off the rim. I already have a hudy setup system. It is important that you find a engine builder who knows what he is doing so you get a actual increase in horsepower instead of just a change in your power curve. Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited:
I don't use rubber tires this motor rips them right off the rim. I already have a hudy setup system. It is important that you find a engine builder who knows what he is doing so you get a actual increase in horsepower instead of a change in your power curve.

I agree the rubber is not for the track. As you can see in my pic they are new. As such used for display along with the aluminum wheels. So do you have any links to the 160mph car? I seriously would love to read what they did to accomplish that speed. As for the engine modding. To each his own. In the end it all comes down to how well you drive and how well you hook it all up. Just my opinion.

The RC Car Action website has a whole thread devoted to that just look under Worlds Fastest RC Car Challenge post.

The RC Car Action website has a whole thread devoted to that just look under Worlds Fastest RC Car Challenge post.

Well here is what I found:

"FINAL THOUGHTS

As you know, this event was organized to break the existing “Guinness Book” RC world speed record and to post a speed that is a true reflection of what a modern RC car can do. The main goal, however, was to promote the hobby on network television. The staff at Team Associated would like to acknowledge that, even though they were the first to take the necessary steps to formally challenge the existing RC world speed record, Chris Collins’ posted 112.7mph speed is still the benchmark. Meanwhile, the A-Team is preparing for another record attempt; they want to push the TC3 past the 100mph barrier and the L3O past a buck and a quarter. You can bet that we’ll be there to cover the next attempt, and they hope that other RC manufacturers will want to join in on the action!

BUT IS IT OFFICIAL?

There are a two ways to establish a new RC world speed record. The first is to have a representative from the publishers of the “Guinness Book” in England witness the record-breaking event. The second possibility is to have the event aired on the U.S.-based “Guinness Book of World Records” TV show, which is actually a separate entity from the printed media production. Being aired on the TV show, however, is a shoo-in for having the world record published in the book. As you can imagine, it isn’t easy to persuade someone from the “Guinness Book” to travel all the way from England to witness an RC car speed-record attempt. Master RC promoter Dan Moynihan, however, managed to spark the interest of the producers of the TV show and was able to set a date to videotape the record-breaking attempt and, if successful, air it on the popular weekly television program. Unfortunately, the film crew had to cancel at the last minute and wasn’t able to tape the speed-record attempt at Irwindale Speedway. This didn’t stop the event from taking place, though; instead, the ABC News Team videotaped it, and the speeds were recorded with a super-accurate Stalker police radar system (similar to the unit we use here at Radio Control Car Action). The event was aired on network television in several time slots, including prime time, which meant that millions of people saw it. The videotape and radar data have also been sent to the producers of the “Guinness Book” TV show. At the present time, however, Cliff Lett’s record-breaking 111mph run still has to be verified, and the existing 59.5mph record still stands. Let’s hope that the videotape and all the exposure will entice them to publish this new speed record soon. Who knows? Maybe we’ll even see Cliff Lett set an even faster RC speed record on TV."

Here is the link
http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/need_speed3.asp

Then I googled and found the discussion on the 161 mph UNRECORDED run. Along the way I found this on youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YYfwaiQBA"]YouTube - 200+ mph Nitro R/C[/ame]

I guess in the end the record stands at 111 documented mph. I am sure LIPO powered brushless hearted cars can exceed the 111, but 161 mph that are actually controlled by a driver in a straight line I would have to see to believe. Good stuff, good stuff.

Yes it is interesting, some of the guys are talking about using gyros to keep their cars running straight!! Thats pretty high tech!

not many people know how fast a r/c can go where i'm from, i own a kyosho inferno gt 1/8 and since people out here think their cars can smoke me, i take their money hehe. that just gives me more money to add to my car. pretty fun.

My Super Nitro RS4 is a pretty basic setup, 35mm tires, some carbon, OS .18 engine, ofna 2 speed trans. The thing shifts into second gear around 65-70 and flips over around 75... still plenty of speed to go but can't keep it on the ground.

Hi

I don't know how old this thread is but will re activate it all the same.

I went to the Speed event in the USA and managed 88 mph with my 3 engines car but it was stuck in 1st gear and I had a short run up.

In 2008 we are holding 2 speed events, One in the UK on September 8th and one in the USA date to be confirmed. The speed records will come from either event.

As for recognition of the fastest speed. I contacted the GWR and they went on about scale speed. If you have a 1/10th car doing 80 its 800 mph and if its a 1/8th car doing 80 its 640 mph. They were not interested in recording actual speed.

Due to this the guys at Radio Control car Action along with Nic Case and myself have devised a set of rules we all agree on.

Basically they are:

Car are to be wheel driven only.
Speed records must be set in open competition
The speed must be measured with 2 systems and confirmed.

There are a number of classes that are changing all the time but there is an Electric open and an IC open.

Nic case has the Electric record with 134.2 measured in 2006 and the IC one is under discussion with myself claiming 103.0 mph measured in the UK on September 2007. I don't see anybody coming forward and claiming anything above this and have some sort of proof. I am trying to get more info on Steve Ponds 100mph RS4 car.

For more info and the current records visit http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/index2.html

Couple of considerations when thinking about top speed:

1) Aerodynamics become paramount. You need downforce to overcome the lifting force of the shape of the car as a whole. An increase in downforce means a large increase in drag. Drag increases with the square of velocity.

2) More downforce also means higher rolling resistance. You basically end up walkinga fine line between enough and too much. Not enough, the car kites and you get to start over on the project after collecing your previous attempt in a dustpan. Too much and drag kills the top end.

3) Peak HP is huge. The amount of power required to increase speed increases exponentially with velocity. Gearing becomes a balance of getting enough power to overcome drag and enough RPM to be going fast at the same time. The two desires are very much at odds with each other and engine power becomes the deciding factor. Electrics can put out more power and that's why they have a distinct advantage.

Your not wrong with electrics having the advantage. ICs deliver all their power at th etop so there is precious little torque to get the thing up to speed. I found that out with the 2 speed on my car so thats why I'm going for 3 or 4 gears next time.

Electrics have loads of torque