Soon to be savage owner!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1basher

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I decided I am going to get a savage! What are the items that most often break on this and that I should get at the lhs for future repairs.(already have fuel bottle, battery, charger, and glow plugs)

Fixed your thread title unless you want to call it a savabe.

we seem to break alot of tanks, so id save up for an aluminum one, make sure you zip tie the hinge pin ears, front and rear upppers so the uppers dont slip out.

diffs seem to be about the most problem so far.

which savage are you getting? hpi has fixed alot of stuff on the newer rigs.

About the only things I've broken are spur gears. Grab 2 or 3 of them to keep on hand. Otherwise, unless you launch it insanely high up in the air, the amount of broken parts will be fairly few.

I agree, always keep a spur or two on hand spare.
Diffs are like all I've had a problem with.
Never had a problem with the hinge pins coming out, or the tanks breaking.

Beason brings up a good point, the newer ones do have a lot of the problems fixed.

maybe its just our luck with the pins and tanks.

brand new tank, straight from the box. savage x ss.

we ran a few tanks through for the break in, tank was always soaked. had my friend(the owner) do a pressure test. and it sure did have a leak along one of the seams.

hinge pins, put the truck together and didnt have the bumper mounts/supports flipped downward so the they caught the hinge pins. figured it out. found a pin that costs $.43 a piece that replaces the stock hinge pins. just as strong. farm like hardware.

flipped the supports. lost i think 1 or 2 more. zip tied the supports/mounts to the bulkheads through the hole under each hinge pin, never had a problem since.

i mentioned that first tank, broke another a couple of days ago, not sure what happend, but it put a hole in the side of the tank as big as the tip of my pinkie finger.

I invested in rechargable AA batteries and a charger for them. Have saved tons of money on batteries. A couple spur gears are good idea too. I also upgraded to a hardened clutch bell and metal spur gear. Well worth the money..

Don't forget your after run oil too........

I'm thinking of running sidwinder so I don't have to do the arp. I have a 6 cell 7.2 volt rechargable bettery. And can the savage trans handel a metal spur gear?

I'm thinking of running sidwinder so I don't have to do the arp. I have a 6 cell 7.2 volt rechargable bettery. And can the savage trans handel a metal spur gear?

whoa wait. Mike is talking about AA's for the receiver pack.

is this 7.2v pack your talking about for the roto start or for the receiver?
I'm not sure on the receiver your going to run, and how long it will last on 7.2v.
but if that battery pack is for the roto start, you have to buy that separate, just in case this was your plan.

ah maybe you should update me. lol

If you're going to go rechargable on the reciever, pony up and buy a 5 cell hump pack; 4 rechargables simply won't have the voltage needed.

Next, the metal spur.... if you run one of those, you'll need a hardened clutch bell.

I'm going to keep my savage stock and up grade a I break. Can anyone confirm this:the tranny is strong enough to cope with a metal spurgear/endbell. I'll invest in a 5 cell hump pack for the reciever and I'm going to keep the AA's in the radio. Keep the parts I need comming.

ps:I agree with your sig.
pps:Is changing the spurgear hard? (Can you show me how to do it.) Also is getting the engine out hard?

Last edited:
The trans, in stock form, will hold up to a steel spur. However, there are precautions to take when running one. You have to run the slipper a little looser (about 1/4 turn from all the way tight), and you have to run a hardened clutch bell. Without the hardened bell, your clutch bell will look like it was born n bred in the ozarks.

(hehe, thanks. Found the image on the web.)

How do you change the spurgear and how do you remove the engine? And I'm thinking about the savage x 4.6? Is it any good?

Last edited:
Changing the spur gear (on the X) is as simple as removing the top part of the trans case; remove the top two screws on each side that hold the black roll bar on, and the top two screws on the case (look at it from the top down, you'll see 'em). Next, give it a gentle lift, and it should come right out.

Now, as for removing the motor; Remove the exhaust pipe, unhook the throttle linkage, remove the fuel tank, (and the roll cage, if so equipped). Then flip the truck over and remove the four 3MM hex screws that pass thru the purple plate into the mounts.

The X 4.6 is a great truck; it comes with all the good parts, as well as a great engine.

Z400 and Heartbreak are correct. I use the rechargable AA's for the transmitter and the reciever. I usually get 4-5 tanks thru before having to change the batteries in the reciever. Save lots of money and its a quick change. You have to run the hardened clutch bell with the metal spur gear, if you don't, I guarentee you will be replacing either the spur gear or clutch bell or both.

Back