Solution to bearing slip?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20% AT racing... In Australia btw

Maybe look at changing your fuel soon dude. I've used AT's stuff, and never really been that fond of it. I mean, it works, and its cheap, but id only put it in my thrashers. The methanol quality is a bit drab, and the oil percentage is higher, and its castor. I usually run Byron's 20% synth in the Revo, but its expensive. Nitro-X is cheaper, and what I usually run in everything else. I swear, sometimes I think Nitro-X is actually better than Byron's. A better quality fuel and less oil percentage, should curb the seepage issue a fair bit.

Ill side with FrickenJoey in saying that a 5w might a bit much, for a sprag bearing anyway. Even under cranking, the rollers aren't under enough pressure to justify using a crankcase oil. Its seems as though it would cause more slip, than grip. (no rhyme intended) It wouldn't surprise me if Traxxas entered into a Trade Agreement with Mobil.

Stick with good 'ole WD40. Its the lesser of two evils.

Brake cleaner can work, just be careful with what brand you use. If you can get your hands on Wurth stuff, use that, its ubercleaner. Cheaper stuff, like Series 500 or Super$h!t, is usually gentle on soft plastics, cause well.. its crap.

Stay right away from Throttle Body Cleaner though. That's a different composite, and will eat any soft plastic it touches, doesn't matter what brand it is.

Anyway... [/THESIS]

well iv found the fuel to be pretty decent and i only bash anyway. might look at trying another fuel in the near future. just bought 3L of AT fuel so will prob be next month when i buy some more. and i have some bendex brake cleaner i think.

I think traxxas suggests 30wt oil because they can sell more new OWBs that way lol.
As for fuel, don't ever swear off castor oil. It breaks down and begins doing it's job at high temps, you gotta have it. Most good fuels are mostly syn with some castor mixed in. I run Byron's gen 2, it has either 11 or 12% total oil content, depending on which nitro% you get.
I rarely have to clean my starter bearings.

As a newb do you think it would be easy enough to get a good tune using Byrons Gen2 with an 11% oil content or should I aim for something with a little higher content?

It's easier! You have less of a safety cushion due to the oil content, but it will run much cleaner and smoother.....which makes tuning much easier.
It will also run a little cooler.

It's easier! You have less of a safety cushion due to the oil content, but it will run much cleaner and smoother.....which makes tuning much easier.
It will also run a little cooler.

So I should be fine with the Byrons then?

Thanks for the help. Great forum this.

Yeah some byron's gen 2 with 20% nitro would be a good choice. It has 12% oil.

Back