So why do you need a bigger motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2767

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got my Revo dialed in today and decided to take it out to the bmx track made by the local kids and it did great, jumped the doubles, step ups and table tops with ease but then there is a section by the track that is 4" loam graded by the tractors and that's when I ran into trouble, truck was getting through it but it was fighting it. I have a newer Dynamite .19 in it now with a full RRP gearset and FOC and am running the RRP 16 40 combo for the spur and clutchbell. I think the truck would totally benefit from a BB so what would you guys recommend?:D

I would go with the new Ofna .28 maxx engine.
View attachment 13400
Since you already have the gears to hold the power you could go with an true BB like an LRP engine, but you will need a BB conversion mount.

Last edited:
The Revo is a pig. I don't mean that as an insult, just saying it is one heavy truck, has more than a pound on 1/8 truggies.

I say go for broke; LRP ZR.32 spec 2. I run one in my OFNA Ultra Comp, and while it doesn't rap out like a Novarossi/Picco/RB/etc .28, the thing is a torque monster. The power that mill puts down is impressive. Wish I had a video to show you what that beast can do when it's dialed in.

Here ya go, one in a Revo (though videos with other rigs better demonstrate the engine's power):

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the .28 jl in my revo and that throw it around like no ones business
the only problem with going a true bb is the power it puts out versus how long stuff in your drivetrain will hold up. I have a bb in a t maxx and I have to say I don't use it all that much due to the fact I will struggle to get through 3 tanks before it breaks.
bottom line stick with a smaller engine ,bb is cool but it will destroy a stock driveline in no time

I'm currently running a Losi 454 (rebadged LRP .28) with a turbo head conversion, buggy header & ERCM pipe.
Real happy with this engine, I have previously run a picco .28 team turbo & novarossi .28 5 port - the Losi does not have as much grunt down low, which is good, it doesn't eat the driveline every time I take it out anymore.
It has a better top end - more rpm, higher top speed.

Between me & a friend we've run:
Picco .28 team turbo
Novarossis .28 5 port
LRP .28 (normal head)
Picco .26 (mid block)
LRP .30

To me the pick of the bunch for a revo is the Losi 454/LRP .28 with turbo head.

The Revo is a pig. I don't mean that as an insult, just saying it is one heavy truck, has more than a pound on 1/8 truggies.

I say go for broke; LRP ZR.32 spec 2. I run one in my OFNA Ultra Comp, and while it doesn't rap out like a Novarossi/Picco/RB/etc .28, the thing is a torque monster. The power that mill puts down is impressive. Wish I had a video to show you what that beast can do when it's dialed in.

Here ya go, one in a Revo (though videos with other rigs better demonstrate the engine's power):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do58Hk_ANFs

Wow really the revo a pig!:hehe: Most of the guys running at the local track have no problem schooling even the best truggies! I have a BB maxx that hangs with my buddies truggy no problems. If you upgrade to #3908 emaxx diffs in the maxx that pretty much eliminates most driveline issues. I am running a full steel RRP gear set and brushless diffs in my race maxx and have never broke anything and its seen some hard track use! The LRP engines are serious powerhouse's. All you have to do is gear up to make good use of all that torque.

What would you recommend for gearing with a .28? I am running RRP 16 40 right now.

I would recommend a LRP ZR 32 Spec 2.

Here is mine in action:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow really the revo a pig! Most of the guys running at the local track have no problem schooling even the best truggies!

I never said they didn't perform. Did you stop reading after the first sentence? We all know I'm not a TRX fan, yet I still give credit where it's due, and have (on many occasions) paid the Revo due respect. It is the only TRX kit I would ever own. Doesn't change the fact that is is heavier than true 1/8 truggies, hence my calling it a pig.

I have a BB maxx that hangs with my buddies truggy no problems.

I'm not going to touch that one, other than to say either his driving or his kit ain't up to par. I don't have a lot of time on the stick with my truggies yet, but still, no MT or SCT at the local track has been able to keep up with them. Other truggies and 1/8 buggies are all that can hang (and the guys running 1/5 scale).

so what your saying is that 2 rigs ,both powered by .28's and both setup to race can't go head to head because one is a traxxas??.
if a maxx is setup to race (been there done that) It is plenty capable ,just costs more to get there.
I love the look on some heros face when my 'toy' t maxx smokes his lap time . I'm sure you can go to any lhs and buy a 8ight t and drop that on the track and be competitive but wheres the fun in that ??

so what your saying is that 2 rigs ,both powered by .28's and both setup to race can't go head to head because one is a traxxas??.

Don't try to put words in my mouth. I said no such thing.

Can a Maxx be competitive? Sure. But it is a 1/10 MT, and it will still behave like a 1/10 MT, not like a 1/8 truggy. And a Jato or Rusler will behave as the 1/10 stadiums they are, slash will act as an SCT, etc.

In short, what I'm saying is that you really can't compare a 1/10 MT to a 1/8 truggy. Apples and oranges. When someone says "can hang with" regarding off road RC and includes no other information, I operate under the assumption that they are talking on a track, in which case I maintain that MTs cannot run with 1/8 truggies, save for the Revo, which is as close to a 1/8 truggy as a MT gets. But the Maxx, the MMGT, the 1/8 MGT/Rival, the Losi LST/AFT/MGB and so on simply do not have the handling to carve a track like a race-bred truggy. Doesn't mean they aren't fun, it just means they were built for a different purpose.

I'm also not saying that 1/8 truggies are the end-all, be-all of off-road. On our local indoor, they are too large. Technically banned there, I was allowed to run mine a bit when traffic was light, quickly discovered that its sheer size made it incapable of dealing with the tight corners meant for 1/10 buggies and STs. Being that it is a clay track, the advantage of 4WD is virtually nil, and I could not turn in even close to the lap times I do with my 1/10 buggies and STs. Had to slow down too much to make 5' radius 180* turns on high traction clay (plus my e-truggy is set up for a very loose & loamy outdoor track with 20-20-20 in the diffs).

I'm not going to touch that one, other than to say either his driving or his kit ain't up to par.

so what does this mean? you are saying what I just called you on to me.
if you really don't like trx that much why get involved in a conversation about one it would be like me preaching about nitro onroad , sure I have one but I don't really know jack about them.
have you had a revo with a .32 in it personally? if you have you would know that it would eat a stocko driveline in no time with out some serious mods

Last edited: