Sleeve Pinching?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrogg

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Anyone with experience have tips to give a monkey with a new tool?
I just picked up a .21 sleeve pincher, it came with great instructions. I am just curious if anybody has advice.
My buddy's Dynamite Platinum .21 is the first guinea pig!
I'll update the thread later and let you guys know if I destroy it or salvage it. The poor little engine runs good on top end. Bottom end is untuneable and the P & S has no pinch what so ever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Piston-Sleeve-P...rol_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
This is it. I got in under two weeks.
Sleeve thickness varies from engine to engine, espicially with different brands.
This particular pincher bottomed out before actually doing anything to the Dynamite .21 sleeve.
The engine is still too easy to turn over by hand.
The seller, K garage has different engine brands listed for different auctions on .21 engines. I guess they are made a little bigger/smaller for each brand.
So my pincher will not work with any of the engines we use.:\
Also I figured this part would have been made from spring steel, it's not. Once you tighten the bolt it stays compressed. So far I am not impressed.

Update; I managed to get a good pinch on the engine....too good. I don't recommend these things. Way too easy to overpinch a sleeve. I followed the instructions for a light pinch and now the engine is damn near impossible to turn over. It runs but after 3 tanks of fuel there is still too much metal to metal pinch.
I'll have to do some more experimenting to find a safer way to do this.
Bottom line, spend 20 bucks to have a pro do it.

Can you give me the ID measurement of the pincher? I found a lot of 4 I can get for $30. All are different sizes but he doesn't specify what engines they work on.
I know a couple of other secrets on how get the size exactly where you want it. I'm really thinking about doing some of ths myself.

Randy, you're gonna find yourself smack dab in the middle of your own little side business if you keep this up :) Little bit of this, little bit of that. :thumbup:

20mm is what it says on it, my tape measures are MIA.

I've used one of these tools before. The best advice I can give is practice on a piston/sleeve that is long-gone. Go slow, and literally just enough to put tension on the screw. It does not take much.

So in other words, don't do it on the one you currently use in your engine ? good to know, definately good to know !

Back