Shifting problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmaxnoob

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have the old tmaxx with black trans. Still has reverse. I hit too much stuff to go with the foc yet. So reverse is still nice. Just got it back together after deanodizing every thing and putting on a pull start. Playing today and I noticed it keeps going in to neutral. After I rev it once or twice it shifts back in to drive. My idle seems ok. I didn't shift to reverse at all. Any ideas?

The reverse in the black trans sucks! IMHO. Get the FOC and just learn to drive in open spaces until you get good at it. Your problem lies in the trans.

yep

listen i got what you got and my grey baby is on her way from e bay. that old skool tranny kills dollars. get the new grey case trannyl.. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Or....black trans with FOC installed is pretty much the same as the grey trans and only $12. And you wouldn't have to ugrade the shafts etc. to the 3.3.....because you would have to if you put the grey trans in the old maxx.

Nothing wrong with the black trans just like what THEANT and PHINS FAN said.
I had that same problem, it would shift into neutral and get stuck, I found that my reverse servo and linkage was out of adjustment and caused the reverse shift fork in the trans to bend creating my problem, at this point you can rebuild the reverse kit or remove it.

Last edited:
Tmaxxnoob I have same exact trans in my maxx as well & I have replaced the damaged gears that are prone to break in the trans 2 times already on my MAXX. " I also keep on hand in my parts @ least a spare gear set & have a set ready to go LOL "

I have found out & working pretty good for me is to lube the tranny gears I spray alittle amount of white lithum grease into the shift point hole "on top of tranny" & rotate the spur gear for and even app Also if replace'ing any gears its a good idiea to spray a thin coat on the gears itself So far it been over 2 months since I my last tranny service & make shure you come to a complete stop before a gear is enguaged in some instance's "because I do it" when changeing gears allow the Rig to SLIGHTLY move "forward or reverse " & then hit the switch that almost 90% of the time locks in the gear your switching to because sometime's that bell inside the tranny can't slide over the gear set "forward or reverse" your looking to engauge into

Hope this helps you out "sorry if post was long"

Last edited:
Trust us all when we say install the FOC. You will quickly learn how to drive better and the foc will make the black tranny a very dependable and FASTER trans. If you buy a grey 3.3 you will also need 3.3 shafts for it to work on the 2.5 chassis.

Trust us all when we say install the FOC. You will quickly learn how to drive better and the foc will make the black tranny a very dependable and FASTER trans. If you buy a grey 3.3 you will also need 3.3 shafts for it to work on the 2.5 chassis.

+1 this information is very accurate

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry about this I thought I was posting my own thread, no intent to jack the thread, sorry.

So I guess I'm over reverse then. I looked online and found one for the 2.5. I have the pro .15. Same trans or should I keep looking? Thanks for all the input guys.

Just use the one you have, go buy the FOC and put it in, the instructions come with the kit and its easy to install....

I'll keep the trans. Just wanted to make sure the one for the 2.5 will work before I order it. It's the only one I've found so far

Yes thr is only the black trans that came with .15 & the 2.5 and the gray trans that came in the newer 3.3 and the revo

I can't find the foc kit online. Can someone please put a link to one here.

Back