several questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trackmagic27

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have several questions (btw, i have an ofna ultra lx pro)
1) should i invest in a throtle servo? i mean i know i should but i havent really had any probs with it, the only advantage i would see is less battery life and more stopping power? i had in mind the Hitec HS-625? any good? and also i noticed that the stock servo arms that come with the ofna dont fit the hitec servos, so which servo arm should i use once i get the HS-625? it comes with one that should fit but its too big and crashes againts the reciever box :devious:

2) 4 Energizer e2 batteries would equal as how many NIMH? I'm tired of having to buy these batteries and since I'm gonna get the new servo well i guess a new reciever bat. wouldnt hurt. what good 6V reciever battery can i get for around 40 buks that will give me the most NIMH? and what charger can go with it? preffer a quick charger but cheap at the same time.

i plan on spending around 150 dolars for the 3 things (HS625 servo, reciever bat. and charger)

thanks on advance

1- the best bacg for your buck servo upgrade that is decently priced is the hitec 645mg or the JR 650. You would need to upgrade the Receiver pack to get the full potential of the servo though. As far as servo arm I would look into getting a metal servo arm as your buggy should come with a built in servo saver. Or you can get a servo saver from Kimbrough.

2- Regardless of the type batter you use. Alkaline batteries die much faster than a rechargeable 6V pack. 4 AA batteries would only oamount to 4.8V at 1.2 volts per piece. Now a rechargeable pack would be 5 cells and would get 6V and your current output can vary from 1100 mah to 2800mah. depending which you buy.

As far as a charger, I would try a charger that is a peak detection charger that you can vary the charger rate. The slower you charger the better the charge. I would go look at ebay as they have deals on 2 RX packs for the price of one...roughly.

Hope this helps you out.

Jon

what he said. great info. i wont go and repeat it.

-Ult

re

i dont really want the 645 because i already have it on steering and i preffer the throtle servo to be quick and have decent torque rather to have good torque but slow speeds.

about the battery packs, since i mostly order from tower, i only seem to find 1200 MaH as max, what is a good brand of reciever packs? :shrug: and what good charger would you recomend me? the connector from battery should have no problem hoping up with the airtronics Z reciever right? or do i have to buy an extra cable convertor of some kind?

thanks for the info!

Last edited:
trackmagic27, I have a couple of things to add.

Typically, the hardcore guys will buy a throttle/brake servo that doesn't have more torque, but more speed. When you're in the air and you need to adjust the pitch of the buggy, the faster the throttle/brake servo, the better. For your average basher, any other servo should provide you with plenty of braking power. (unless it's like a heavy ol' MT or something)

The last thing I'd like to warn you about is mixing new servos with your old RTR radio system. All the RTR radio systems I've seen lack end point adjustments. For this reason you can not control how far your RTR radio will tell your new servo to go. In the worst case, your RTR radio will tell the new servo to go too far and will eventually result in servo death.

As a rule if you need to upgrade your RTR servos, you need to go the whole way and upgrade the whole RTR radio as well (so you can get at a bare minimum the end point adjustment features).

re

so iit would also be a good idea to replace the stock radio? well because i dont have that much money to spend on a new radio, couldnt i just buy the servo and the battery pack? and then as time passes buy the new radio?
BTW, does the reciever pack has to be 5cell? and what type of connector should i get? charger?

Since the MX-3 is so cheap I would get that. The 625 is a great servo and transit time is waht you are concerned about so the 625 would be ideal. As far as charging wise the LRP Pulsar is great or the super brain 959 is great. lots options to use for RX or big 7.2V stick packs.

Most RX packs will fit onto any receiver.

CHECK ONLYBATTERIES.COM

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason you need a 5 cell NiMh Rx pack is to get the voltage to 6V. Alkaline batts are 1.5, and NiCads or NiMh are 1.2.
In the summer I went through 4 Alkaline batts a day. That really adds up. I upgraded to the 5 cell hump pack, NiMh, and only had to recharge once a week. Eventually the cost of the batts paid for themselves.

Rolex said:
The reason you need a 5 cell NiMh Rx pack is to get the voltage to 6V. Alkaline batts are 1.5, and NiCads or NiMh are 1.2.
In the summer I went through 4 Alkaline batts a day. That really adds up. I upgraded to the 5 cell hump pack, NiMh, and only had to recharge once a week. Eventually the cost of the batts paid for themselves.
Did that as well and I would go through 12 battery packs a day since I ran more than one ride.
GET A RECHARGEABLE RX PACK.

Jon

re

what reciever pack and charger are you using rolex?

jesus! 12 battery packs a day???!!!!!!!!!!!
one last question, is there a way to tell if the connector will fit my airtronics z reciever? even easier, do all Rx fit the airtronics z? and for the charger it should also say somewhere that it is for NiMh or Rx battery types? the ones shown on www.onlybatteries.com only say that the packs fit hitec or JR, but do they fit aitronics?

for 150 I'd try to get your hobby shop to get a little package together 4 you w/ a Futaba 3PM or the MX-3 and the 625 servo and a Rx pack and just do the slow charger until you can get a better one....the packs last WAY longer than the reg batts....you just need to put them on charge again before you go out....I learned the hard way don't skimp on radio gear...getting the radio last would be detrimental to the life of your servos, w/o endpoint limit you will over torque your new servos and wear them out quickly..I'm not partial to the hitec brand anymore...I just had mucho issues w/ their digital servos and am never getting those again......Bigfreak is right about the speed on the throttle in the air......I tried to deny it but I tried the JR digital and wow what a difference it makes when you jump....very reponsive.....you get a more precise control on the gyro effect while in the air and can actually control the front end dipping and rising on the buggy...

Yes they will fit by way of using a dremel or a pair of cutters. trim of the excess and plug right in!

Well I had a Monster GT then, a TMAXX and my PCR PRO.

I have since then used only RX Rechargeable RX packs. Love em never leave em.

good idea plaidfish, id never thought about it. itll prolly be a bit more but it doesn't matter. and about the endpoint limit, what exactly is that? and so is it luck that has never happened to me with my 645?h rtr radio gear?

good idea plaidfish, id never thought about it. itll prolly be a bit more but it doesn't matter. and about the endpoint limit, what exactly is that, and when i buy the new radio do i have to adjust the servo's endpoint limit or is it electronicly controlled? so is it luck that has never happened to me with my 645?h rtr radio gear?

trackmagic27 said:
good idea plaidfish, id never thought about it. itll prolly be a bit more but it doesn't matter. and about the endpoint limit, what exactly is that? and so is it luck that has never happened to me with my 645?h rtr radio gear?

That is the feature I like. Yo can limit the distance the throttle moves so on engines with a slide carb, if you leave it without checking. The servo can actually hurt your carb by opening the carb too far. You only need the carb to be opened full nothing more. Same goes with the steering, you can only go so far then you have the servo fighting to go past the limit. That can hurt the servo.

thanks guys, thank you very much for being pacient with me, by know you prolly dont wanna know anything of me cause I've driven yall crazy with all these questions.
dang it!! ok this time I'm serious!! 1 las bloody question!! how do you adjust the end point of the servo? is it like a trim it starts going up and when you get to the point were no more steering is abvailable you set it there?¿
conclusion:
ill buy:
MX-3 (still dont know what especific model, will check it out at lhs)
reciever battery pack 1400-2100 MaH
charger, but not so slow, about 1 hr or 2 hr charge time
and ill wait for the 625 servo, ill have to add some more money since I'm running kinda low cause i blew it on other stuff :p

what do you calculate the total will be? i think it should be around 150-180? what do you think?

Last edited:
If you shop around you can get the MX-3 and RX for under 100maybe as low as 75, RX pack at ONLYBATTERIES.COM for 30 bux. and a decent charger. the 625 you can get for around 40. SHop around. The MX-3 75 MHz version is the one you want. the 27MHz is limited to 6 FM channels and the 75 you can get 30 different channel.

Just to let you know the MX-3 S is the synthesiszed model so you need no more crystals.

Hope it helps

Jon

re

theres one little problem (not again!!!) i am from mexico but go 3-4 time a month to the us, so i preffer buying the whole thing at the same time, little things like servos or replacement parts get ordered by tower, but the radio,pack and charger i preffer getting it on a walk in store, unless i see a hell of a deal somewhere. and about the cinthezisized radio , boy i have researched for like 4 hours non stop, but i believe they still have MX-3's that arent cinthesized? correct me if I'm wrong. so yea id basicly go for the FM since u have lots more options, but in case i get the cinthezised ill have no more probs, although that is abit more expensive right?
crap I've just remembered i need other parts for the buggy (clutch shoes, diff gears and gas) :devious: :devious: :devious: :devious: :devious: :devious: :devious: :devious:

anyone have personal experience w/ those MX-3 TXs.......I'm a Futaba guy and just haven't tried much else.......How do people like em

trackmagic27 said:
what reciever pack and charger are you using rolex?

I have the Reedy 5 cell NiMh 1100 hump pack and use the Dymond Super Turbo charger. It does NiCad and NiMh, and from one to 26 cells. Fully programmable with 10 pre-set memories. About $110.