Setting gear mesh on a revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blckrevo33

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Good afternoon everybody it is good to be back. I have a quick? What do you guys use to set gear mesh? If I remember right I think I used a small piece of paper but I just want to make sure. Thanks in advance.

on mod 1 i always used 2 small pieces or a piece bent in half and pushed 2 gears together,never ate any spurs or pinions.doing this hobby since 1976 bicentennial.

on mod 1 i always used 2 small pieces or a piece bent in half and pushed 2 gears together,never ate any spurs or pinions.doing this hobby since 1976 bicentennial.
Thank you that is what I thought but it's been so long I wasn't sure thank you

Thank you that is what I thought but it's been so long I wasn't sure thank you
Just keep in mind after you push the gears together. Then spin the spur gear and the paper should pop out looking like a accordion. I also have been using this way for yrs. It's the easiest and fastest way to set yoru gear mesh.. and it's a pretty fail safe way also. 👍

Just keep in mind after you push the gears together. Then spin the spur gear and the paper should pop out looking like a accordion. I also have been using this way for yrs. It's the easiest and fastest way to set yoru gear mesh.. and it's a pretty fail safe way also. 👍
Thank you for the advice when I get a chance tomorrow morning ihave a few little things I want to do to it first and then on to the gorilla in the room lol

There is a lot of variance in paper thickness. Newspaper paper? Printer paper? Letter paper? Post-It note?

My advice is to forget about vague tricks that only get you an actually proper gear mesh by chance.

The correct way to set the gear mesh is not really that complicated: just adjust the motor closer and closer until you can barely feel any backlash when you hold the pinion and rock the spur gear. If you feel none, it’s too tight. If you feel any, it’s loose enough.

Then spin the spur gear into a few different positions to verify the gear mesh is not too tight at any point of the rotation, as spur gears are often not exactly round. If you find a tight spot, loosen the gear mesh until you feel the tiniest amount of backlash.

There is a lot of variance in paper thickness. Newspaper paper? Printer paper? Letter paper? Post-It note?

My advice is to forget about vague tricks that only get you an actually proper gear mesh by chance.

The correct way to set the gear mesh is not really that complicated: just adjust the motor closer and closer until you can barely feel any backlash when you hold the pinion and rock the spur gear. If you feel none, it’s too tight. If you feel any, it’s loose enough.

Then spin the spur gear into a few different positions to verify the gear mesh is not too tight at any point of the rotation, as spur gears are often not exactly round. If you find a tight spot, loosen the gear mesh until you feel the tiniest amount of backlash.
Finally someone whose geared like me. I never use paper and don't have to many issues.

If its a nitro, blue loctite is gonna be your friend.

Finally someone whose geared like me. I never use paper and don't have to many issues.

poop been using a piece of paper since the 90s. Never had a set stripped out yet.

There's no trick to it. And it's a tried and true proven way to set mesh. Paper is paper when it comes to gear mesh. Your way over thinking it. It's the way gears have been getting meshed for decades. And I've been in the RC hobby 30 Plus yrs. With out any problems shredding gears.

Since trying to explain to a newbie or anyone else about backlash. And setting mesh that way. And what that means and how to test it and set it. Can be quiet difficult and a pain in the ass. Plus they most likely will just keep asking what do you mean by rocking it back and forth. And what's the backlash . Look how much you had to go into just to explain it..

Plus haven to keep pushing and pushing little by little. And playing around with your pinon. Is just ridiculous and tedious.. just a piece of paper any type of paper notebook, post it, printer doesn't matter at all. Its way to easy to jsut push gears together with paper between them till they are snug and not binding.

Unless your racing your RC professionally. For bashers or just your backyard racer. It's a quick and easy and proven way since the start of the hobby to set gear mesh in the shop or the feild. If need be. With out to much worry or being persist.

plus Your talking millimeters if not even smaller difference between all The papers . Don't over think it bud. It's not that hard. There is different ways you can set gear mesh. To each ther own. Happy bashing bud 👍👍

Definitely need the blue loctite for sure with a nitro. Those screws will back out from vibration quicker then you can go in reverse. 🤣🤣

plus Your talking millimeters if not even smaller difference between all The papers . Don't over think it bud. It's not that hard. There is different ways you can set gear mesh. To each ther own.
One millimeter is 10–20 sheets of ”common paper”. I know the scale is small but so are the teeth on the gears.

I’ll give it to the paper method that the mesh is never too tight so the worst thing that can happen is premature wear on the spur gear and a bit more noise from the drivetrain. For larger teeth like 32 pitch or 1 Mod it’s probably not excessively loose, but I wouldn’t advise to set 48 pitch gears with it and definitely forget about it if your vehicle has 64 pitch gears.

If it’s a choice between a too tight mesh and the paper method, the latter is the better choice for sure. The lesser evil, so to say. But if someone asks about the correct way, I think it’s only fair to point out that the paper method is only ”good enough” and better ways exist.

Just a quick update: I got all three of my trucks running great. I am currently having a good time with my daughter and her boyfriend in backyard!!! Thank you guys for the help.

Just a quick update: I got all three of my trucks running great. I am currently having a good time with my daughter and her boyfriend in backyard!!! Thank you guys for the help.
Hell yeah man that's awesome glad you got then running. Enjoy the fun bud.. happy bashing 👍👍

IOne millimeter is 10–20 sheets of ”common paper”. I know the scale is small but so are the teeth on the gears.

I’ll give it to the paper method that the mesh is never too tight so the worst thing that can happen is premature wear on the spur gear and a bit more noise from the drivetrain. For larger teeth like 32 pitch or 1 Mod it’s probably not excessively loose, but I wouldn’t advise to set 48 pitch gears with it and definitely forget about it if your vehicle has 64 pitch gears.

If it’s a choice between a too tight mesh and the paper method, the latter is the better choice for sure. The lesser evil, so to say. But if someone asks about the correct way, I think it’s only fair to point out that the paper method is only ”good enough” and better ways exist.
So 100% agree with ya. When your dealing with 48 64 pitch and tighter smaller teeth. Sure you want your backlash spot on. But doesn't matter which way you choose.

The only difference between the two ways. Is your way is more technical and and pain in the ass. And usually only professional racers set gears by the backlash.

The so called paper trick is a well tested tried and true way of setting any type of gear mesh. No matter what the pitch is of the gear. You can look it up.

Its Been used and talked about and mentioned in most if not all RC hobby conversations and magazines articles for ever.

As long as I can remember. And before the internet. When you got all your news and info from "RC CAR ACTION" magazine. It's all a matter of personal preference. And what you like to do... happy bashing bud

So 100% agree with ya. When your dealing with 48 64 pitch and tighter smaller teeth. Sure you want your backlash spot on. But doesn't matter which way you choose.

The only difference between the two ways. Is your way is more technical and and pain in the ass. And usually only professional racers set gears by the backlash.

The so called paper trick is a well tested tried and true way of setting any type of gear mesh. No matter what the pitch is of the gear. You can look it up.

Its Been used and talked about and mentioned in most if not all RC hobby conversations and magazines articles for ever.

As long as I can remember. And before the internet. When you got all your news and info from "RC CAR ACTION" magazine. It's all a matter of personal preference. And what you like to do... happy bashing bud
It does make a difference when the mesh ends up being looser than it could be. A piece of paper between the gears produces more gap than a backlash you can just feel.

And it does matter what pitch the gears are since the tolerance for error becomes smaller with the gears. You can get away with it if the teeth are large enough but with finer pitches you have to be more careful.

I know the trick has been around for a very long time and I also know racers taught beginners away from it in the early ’90s if not earlier. I did it with my JRX Pro initially as well. However, old wive’s tales being common and widespread don’t make them right.

Setting the mesh without paper isn’t technical or complicated once you get a feel for it. Just like driving a car towards yourself and inverting the steering in your head, it’s a skill you develop quickly and from there it’s no longer a problem.

It does make a difference when the mesh ends up being looser than it could be. A piece of paper between the gears produces more gap than a backlash you can just feel.

And it does matter what pitch the gears are since the tolerance for error becomes smaller with the gears. You can get away with it if the teeth are large enough but with finer pitches you have to be more careful.

I know the trick has been around for a very long time and I also know racers taught beginners away from it in the early ’90s if not earlier. I did it with my JRX Pro initially as well. However, old wive’s tales being common and widespread don’t make them right.

Setting the mesh without paper isn’t technical or complicated once you get a feel for it. Just like driving a car towards yourself and inverting the steering in your head, it’s a skill you develop quickly and from there it’s no longer a problem.
Your funny man you just ramble on. Did you even read what was said. The OP was about a revo 3.3 nitro witch comes with mod 1 gears not 32 48 64 pitch. I agreed with you about smaller gear mesh. And no one was steered anyone away from using a piece of paper to set gears. Look up rc gear mesh the piece of paper is in every thing that comes up.

I'm sure there is a hell of alot more people using paper to set mesh then the backlash. Even with smaller gears.

And I also said that racers are the ONLY ones that set gears with backlash. Because of the small gear teeth want tighter clearance on the smaller race buggies. But we were talking mod 1 gears. But Thanks for the input from youtube. And the manufacturers hand book happy bashing man. 👍👍

Did you even read what was said. The OP was about a revo 3.3 nitro witch comes with mod 1 gears not 32 48 64 pitch. I agreed with you about smaller gear mesh.

You said very clearly that the paper trick is tried and true and it doesn’t matter what the pitch is.

I backed out of my initial black-and-white stance against using the paper method and admitted it’s not that bad with Mod1 or 32 pitch.

But the pitch does matter. My advise is to forget about the paper method with fine pitches.

You said very clearly that the paper trick is tried and true and it doesn’t matter what the pitch is.

I backed out of my initial black-and-white stance against using the paper method and admitted it’s not that bad with Mod1 or 32 pitch.

But the pitch does matter. My advise is to forget about the paper method with fine pitches.
Holly poop I love it. The only thing with pitch is both gears need to be the same pitch. And you shouldn't have a problem. Unless your trying to fit two different gear then your screwedno matter what

.For your normal every day backyard garage built basher RC GUY... fu*k yea the paper is a perfectly good way to set mesh. On Any 1/16, 1/10 ,1/8, 1/5. And so on man.

Most rc gesrs aren't that tiny you get get paper to push into gears. 32pitch is mod1 and 48 and 64 pitch gears. Are easy enough to set with paper. They all have big teeth and gapes. Only super small gear with large tooth count.

A PRO RACER would probably be the only group of guys setting their mesh by backlash . Or even talking about it out in the backyard while crashing their RC's.. hahs Go ahead ask anyone the question. Post it I'm sure you will get more people saying they use a pc paper or by hand and experience. Before some says something about backlash..

You just might get a couple more. But no one in the HOBBY is really sitting there worrying how much actual backlash there is. Sh*t it's really not hard to set mesh once you do it once or twice. All you need is a pc of paper. Never have I had issues set mesh with a oc of paper.. it is tried and true...

It's just a technical way of setting mesh for pro racers. poop I'm sure their is some pro that set mesh with paper its quick and easy bud.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a piece of paper. To set mesh try it out.

Mesh isn't that difficult and doesn't need to be over thought either. or be so worried about...

ITS RC CARS and TRUCKS Bud... Have some fun and break something. Hahah happy bashing man.. love The chat....👍👍