servo powering

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotfoot777

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
if most servos operate on 6v how does it step down the voltage? like when using a battery 7.2v 8.4v 9.6v etc. just curious thanks

I'm going to pull the top on a servo and check the voltage with the esc powered up and see what kind of voltage there is. i think the circuit board in the servo has the voltage regulator.

I believe all voltage regulation is done in the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)

That's correct. The ESC controls the output to the receiver while the motor can get a higher voltage. The receiver in turn sends it to the servos.

could you program a programable esc to give the servo a little more voltage for more tourqe? will a 6v servo take a little more voltage safely?

You'll have to wait for someone else's opinion, but I don't think so. I know you can get digital programmable servos that can be set for speed, torque and a few other things, but I seriously doubt you can up the voltage through the ESC.

cool beans, thanks guys i learn something new every 3.5 seconds

More than likely you will see a pretty dramatic increase in power. Just like going from 4.8 to 6 volts. The higher quality cells, the more you'll notice.

You can disable the the BEC on your ESC and run an external BEC that has adjustable voltage output. Castle Creations makes one that is adjustable via their Castle link cable and software.

You'll also want to check that your receiver can handle the voltage. Spektrum receivers and a few others can. Also, not all servos can handle the additional voltage.

thanks guys I'm kinda new and still learning:)