Servo Mount

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dark10304

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Which is the proper way to mount the servo? I have been told that the rubber pads go on top of the radio tray but GS manual and other pics of storm show only the screw heads on top. Although lots of other 1/8 scale buggys show the pads on top. does it matter? is this storm only?

page 23 of the manual shows under the tray
http://www.gsracing.com/gsracing/downloads/manuals/Storm%20RTR.pdf

darks.JPG

Last edited:
The Storm manual does show that the servo's are mounted under the radio tray. i would think this method removes the use and functionality of the rubber standoffs. there is no flex at the servo mounting tabs. the pads mounted on top of the radio tray allow the servo a little play when tweaked saving the servo casing and tabs.

interesting topic....any storm owners that can answer this one?

my buggy (and every other car I've had) the servo's mount on top with the bushings there to give a bit of play.

wiita

hmmm... i guess the rubber mounts go under the tray. i honestly dont get it. . seems the storm is the only RC where the servo mounts under the tray. well if didnt feel like i was on the short bus before i sure do now... weird ass storms

also wanted to add something i found on my new hitec servo product insert.... under Servo Trouble Shoting it reads: Servo hums under load: This can be normal. The servois trying to hold position against the force of the load. If it hums when no load is applied, try loosening the servo case screws a quarter to a half of a turn.

I always wondered why my Jr steering servo hummed... now i know.

reference http://www.hitecrcd.com/Support/Faqs/servotroubleshoot.htm

Last edited:
I'm looking at my servo mounts on my Storm and moving them up on top of the tray would better align my brake linkages and it would give my a comfortable gap between the chassis and the servo bottom. I hate to challenge the design decision of GS, and I'm certainly no engineer. Does it matter which side they're on ?
Maybe they were going for the lowest CG they could get.

My inferno and Kanai's have them mounted on top of the tray. Personally I would think for the price they might elevate the tray 1/8th of an inch and mount them below to lower the COG.

interesting. so is this a decision of allowing the servo to flex (risking breaking the mount tabs on the servo) or obtaining the best COG?

I'm running a Titanium chassis, 7075 aluminum torque rods, a titanium front brace, a fioroni 7075 aluminum rear bulkhead brace and a carbon fiber servo tray...........there better not be much flex at all. I prefer to let the wheels/shocks do the flexing.

I have yet to break a tab on either my above mounted or below mounted servos. Personally I am thinking mounting below on my kanai for the steering and above for the throttle because it's a straighter shot to the carb and brakes thus less resistance. I didn't scope out the angles of my storm to see which is better.

i have always mounted mine above the servo tray..

It proabably had something to do with who won the coin toss back in the lab.

Back