seccond gear problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcorb

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So I have a mates revo 3.3 been sitting round for about 2 years but striped it back and cleaned it up which was fun with flat battery's but got there in the end and just when i think she is running nicely I open her up and as soon as seccond gear engages she slows and my god the smoke from the exhaust plus fuel splattering out of the exhaust I figured it was too rich yet first and idle are great been reading up and everyone sais it's too lean but I dunno set it to factory and when it hits seccond it stalls any ideas would be much appreciated

Have your checked inside the tranny?

No I haven't looking for anything in particular?

You will get more responses if you take the time to proof read your posts bud,and to answer your question i think she's rich on the bottom end!...

Ok so the LSN is rich is that what you are saying?
Sorry for lack of punctuation on my phone

That is what I mean yes,...I am also on the forum from my phone,..try this,when you are ready to hit the reply button read through your post as if it was someone else's post,pop in a couple commas or what not and we will be able to understand what your trying to say much easier....

Back to business,...does she also smoke a lot when you pull the throttle wot from a stop?

Not overly no, but when I was leaning both HSN + LSN it. At factory yes it was smokey just concerned I might over lean and damage the engine. I'll borrow my brothers thermometer and keep leaning cheers

If it's smoking and spitting fuel it ain't lean man!..Any idea how many gallons of fuel has been run through it?

Not 100% but roughly 3 litres which is close to a galon. It's no longer stalling but still smokey with a stupid amount of fuel in the exhaust, so definitely rich. LSN is about a full to 3/4 turn in from factory. Just found out this is the seccond engine for the car, fuel amount still applies. Thinking I should run it a little more and double check the exhaust to make sure its not residual fuel from earlier. Still slowing in seccond but not nearly as bad as before.Perhaps HSN to rich aswell?

If i understand your problem correctly, it runs fine but as soon a second gear engages it just bogs and becomes sloppy?

Have you opened the gearbox to see if any teeth's is missing?

No haven't opened it right up was hoping i wouldn't have to. Will take a look tomorrow

The HSN sounds WAY rich. If you have a good idle and a good take off, the LSN is fine.
Nothing in the trans would account for your current issue. Never make any adjustments till the engine is warmed up, and always run it around for about 15-20 seconds between each adjustment to clear things out.
You also said you turned the HSN to factory settings. The factory setting is VERY rich and is ONLY for starting the break in.
You have a tuning issue on the HSN, nothing else. You need to start leaning it a little at a time till you hit the sweet spot.

Thanks guys leaned HSN almost a full turn from factory settings and now she moves. I will monitor the engine to make sure she don't run too hot. Will keep u posted

No I won't thanks cat. Made some light changes to that aswell. One more thing, to get her warmed up I have to wind in the idle screw. Then once started I have to wind back out to normal. Now I kno its not normal would it be a LSN tuning issue?,
Just because it's cold?,
Or something else ?
Thanks aswell for the advice aswell.

You can turn the throttle trim knob on your radio to raise the idle, then when it's warm lower it back down. If you keep turning the screw you'll soon have it stripped or you'll wear out the O-ring.
It's normal to have some warm up time. If you can start it and run it flat out you're probably too lean on the LSN.
Warm up time is a good thing.

Agree with rolex, remember to tune at half tank.

Regarding the LSN, just pinch the fuel line 5 cm from the carb inlet. It should take about 5 seconds for it shut down. Or/And you can do a temp test when the engine is idling. The temp should either decrease or stay stable. But never rise.

Back