School robotics VEX V5 2023 to 2024 Comp robot build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Is this considered RC? šŸ¤”

Here is what we are doing at the comps this year
This was last year's build

PXL_20230912_183644559.jpg

And here is this year's build. Just started building today after school,.will continue next Tuesday. Currently today we had 4 people show up and help, next week we should have some more, since beginning of the year is hard.
PXL_20230912_183831168.jpg

PXL_20230912_183905410.MP.jpg

PXL_20230912_190246527.jpg

PXL_20230912_193125964.jpg

PXL_20230912_190753134.jpg

Yea, this is nothing like associated buggy kits. šŸ˜‚

It's great you are part of this. Is it like a robotics club? After school credit course? Is there competition between the schools in your district? So good you have an outlet for your energy that is both educational and productive.

What is it and what is it's purpose? Looks like a NASA moon-launch transporter. All four wheels individually motor powered? How does it steer? By varying voltage to the motors? Or forward and reverse straight lines only?

This can only help you in your RC hobby. And your experience in RC can also contribute to this project. Two thumbs up. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :cool:

Cheers. 'AC'

. Is it like a robotics club? After school credit course?
Robotics club, after school, all for fun, and I think the comps are later this year so that's why we got started building right away.
Is there competition between the schools in your district?
I think it's a comp with all the schools in the region, but not sure.
What is it and what is it's purpose? Looks like a NASA moon-launch transporter. All four wheels individually motor powered? How does it steer? By varying voltage to the motors? Or forward and reverse straight lines only?
I linked the comp video above, it's like a little challenge/s or obstacle course, every club/school as the same kit so it's purely off of the drivers of the robot and people working as a team.
Deff not like battle bots, but those are cool too.
From the looks on what I seen today, it's 2 wheel drive, unless we make it 4 wheel next time. For the steering, I have no clue, I did see the servo in one of the bags, looks like a normal 3 pin futaba rx plug on what we use in the RC world. Idk the specs on it tho. Maybe ideally close to a RTR servo. Doesn't look like it uses a RC like servo horn or saver tho.

It wonā€™t show up for me. I canā€™t change my title. Is it a feature that u have to pay for?
Yea I can't change it either.
Yea prob have to pay for it. Or unless I'm blind and can't see it.

More work today!
PXL_20230919_191819061.MP.jpg
PXL_20230919_191851543.jpg
PXL_20230919_184957401.jpg

And here is the track, the stuff in the middle is what we took down from last year.

PXL_20230919_194037954.jpg

Yesterdays meeting went well. We got the whole thing running and started testing it out. Still have some programing to do and some wire organization. We also need to vacuum the track as it's dusty. And we also ordered some stuff for the track. We can't order s full set-up as we don't got the money. We also have a whole box of tools and spare parts for the VEX stuff from previous years.
Testing videos on my channel: https://youtube.com/@bombpoprc2023?si=ln19B0zs1WIlRIIn

PXL_20230926_191600951.jpg

PXL_20230926_191726600.jpg

PXL_20230926_192253613.jpg

Its been a while on here. Lately we had just been playing with it and testing it.
We had to pack up our stuff, throw away lots of scrap metal we had, as we were moving rooms since they are renovating the room that we were in to a computer lab (no reason why they need it)
Comps are coming up next month and in January/February. We might not be able to do the comps this year as we don't have the funding, yet. We will see. Robotics is just a too small of a group to actually do stuff, there had been 2 of us working on the bot for the past couple meetings.

Here is some practice from today
We are trying to figure out how to get more grip and how to climb a.pipe / pole, is that what we have to do for competitions if we can do it this year.

Here is some practice from today
We are trying to figure out how to get more grip and how to climb a.pipe / pole, is that what we have to do for competitions if we can do it this year.
Is that the exact item you have to pick up? If so, why are the arms so short?

Is that the exact item you have to pick up? If so, why are the arms so short?
We are just practicing. The whole competition is like 2 minutes I think. The AI competition is the video linked in the first couple of posts
The arms / claws are the length it is. Tell vex directly. They always make a dumb thing to a thing.
Just like what traxxas does šŸ¤£

We are just practicing. The whole competition is like 2 minutes I think. The AI competition is the video linked in the first couple of posts
The arms / claws are the length it is. Tell vex directly. They always make a dumb thing to a thing.
Just like what traxxas does šŸ¤£
Oh, so the arms have to be that length. Those green gears are in the way then. I mean, do the jaws really need to close all the way? If not, cut the unused area of those gears away.

Back