Savage Tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC RICK

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have only ran about 3 or 4 tanks trough my savage but cannot hit second gear please help me out and please could someone tell me how to change the settings of the gears of when they change? thanks
rick:ahh:

At 3 to 4 tanks, you are still in break in. I found that the breakin settings for the savege is so rich that you really have to let the engine wind to high rpm until it shifts. Also, the 21bb hates to be cold. You need to let the motor warm up before it can get to a high enough rpm to change gears. Lean the car out a little at a time after the car has warmed up. you will notice that the car will come up to speed and rpm faster as you lean it out. Lean out the main needle 1/8th at a time.

If all else fails, tighten up the set screw in the tranny. That is the off center hex screw in the 2 speed.

dont you mean loosen up the screw, tighten it will make it shift latter, not sooner.

i am on tank 14 and it is just getting to point it likes to shift... and i have also had to loosen it 3/4 turn.. your right loosen to make shift, not tighten..

shoot, I always do that. Thanks for correcting me. When the car is not in front of me and I dont have a hex driver in my hand, I forget my left from right. Good looking out!

Took both Woodie and I about 7-9 tanks to get it to shift. After tank 4 I started leaning the HSN 1/8th turn at a time. After all is said and done, you should only have to turn IN your HSN about 1/2 to 3/4 turn from breakin to get it to shift around tank 8 or so.

Temps are running at about 240 for both of us.

Take the temps!

Also, dont tune for second gear with a full tank of gas. Do it on about a half tank.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ

Also, dont tune for second gear with a full tank of gas. Do it on about a half tank.

This may be a stupid question, but Why?

The savage has a run lean at 1/2 tank problem.. i corrected this with a addition of a heli tank after the main tank, it is much like you do not set the fuel mixture unless it is at 1/2 tank...

Originally posted by nitro dave

This may be a stupid question, but Why?

i think it has something to do with the rig running a little leaner as it gets to the bottom of the tank... just a guess

sav20.jpg

the pink/red/orange hose comes from the fuel tank, the other goes to the carb, needs to be level with the carb nipple, it is a heli tank, cannot rember the "exact" word it is called, but is 2oz, the carb feed has fuel at all times in any direction the truck is sitting, if ya dont beleive me put fuel in the thing and watch it squirt out even when u cannot see fuel in the tank, the biggest trick is filing it the 1st time of the day, i stick the pink hose on the carb outlet and prime till the tank is full, then quickly swap them to proper directions, as long as the tank stays full you will not have to touch it the rest of the day. then do the one or4 primes to feed fuel to the engine. you will loose the 1/2 tank lean situation, the heli tank stays full, keeping constant pressure even when flipped on its lid... this info came from the link below... i copied his design, and i am very very happy..

http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17

Cool mod - seems a little prone to breakage but cool none the less. Might have to try it.

The reason I tuned for a 'quick' shift at half tank is due to the self leaning nature of the backpressure on this tank. So, tuning at a full tank will make for an over fast shift towards the end of the tank. If you tune shifting when its too empty then it will not shift with a full tank. This is of course if you want the sweet spot.

Did you have success with just leaning the HSN ????

actually the day i broke the main tank, head, spur gear it did not harm the 2nd heli tank at all... yea it got scratched.. but thats it... its very durable tank vs the original, and even when i did the wreck it kept going with cracked tank, never lost fuel from the heli tank, and i was running till it stripped the spur gear... i was sold at that point on it.. :thumbsup:

maybe a hole in the tank would have saved the spur gear :D

well i shoved the engine away from the spur grea, a hour with a x-acto knife made it like new again.. i did replace it, it sits in my parts box for the day i need one to keep playing..