savage or t-maxx?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdavis72

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
so a friend of mine wants to buy a truck, i showed him my t-maxx and he really likes it. so upon his search he has come across a hpi savage xl (used). we haven't checked it out yet,so wondering which would be better? I was comparing specs and hpi seems better,but going off manuals t-maxx is way more in depth and user friendly. Advice is welcome,thanks.

I have both and love both of them. That being said the Savage is better out of the box.

You and I could be great friends I tell ya !!! LOL

so a friend of mine wants to buy a truck, i showed him my t-maxx and he really likes it. so upon his search he has come across a hpi savage xl (used). we haven't checked it out yet,so wondering which would be better? I was comparing specs and hpi seems better,but going off manuals t-maxx is way more in depth and user friendly. Advice is welcome,thanks.
I have both and love both of them. That being said the Savage is better out of the box.

Brother. Savage is better in so many ways. Faster, stronger, tougher, easier to work on, it's a better truck. You'll hate your life fixing a tmaxx. I hated mine fixing my cousins LOL

Last edited:
You'll hate your life fixing a tmaxx. I hated mine fixing my cousins LOL

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its difficult. I think the T-maxx is very simple to work on. I broke the rear bulkhead and skid plate today cartwheeling off of a 6ft high pile of dirt, took me a whole 5 minutes to pull the broken one off. How is that "hating life"??

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its difficult. I think the T-maxx is very simple to work on. I broke the rear bulkhead and skid plate today cartwheeling off of a 6ft high pile of dirt, took me a whole 5 minutes to pull the broken one off. How is that "hating life"??

To each there own I guess. I just find working on a savage is way easier.

I've worked on both and find the layout of the maxx's easier/faster to work on....
Savage =tougher out of the box
T-maxx= Handles better out of the box

I've got both , t maxx hands down .
I really don't understand how people say the savage is stronger its all in the matter in which the truck is used /abused . a friend of mine has both nitro and bl savage and I had out my maxx and bl maxx and for a long time he was always fixing the damn the only damage I did was snapping a skid due to hitting a tree at wot after a jump lol.
to get a better idea of what would better suit you ,go to your lhs and see what they stock because any newbie is gonna break stuff and you don't want to wait for parts....

I haven't owned either, but I own a HPI Trophy 3.5, and it is strong!- I'd go for the savage as, like everyone else is saying, it's stronger- and HPI's got phenomenal customer service and spares (not saying traxxas doesn't though) :)

I'd recommend against a used RC if you don't know the seller personally or the truck's history.

Definitely also strongly against buying used RCs. There are rare occasions when I do it and more times than not I'm usually not happy with the deal. Even when nothings been necessarily misrepresented a lot of times a lot of things are left out all together that would have been nice to know before you bought it but once you do the deal its usually just easier to spend the money and fix it up rather than to try and reverse the deal.

Definitely also strongly against buying used RCs. There are rare occasions when I do it and more times than not I'm usually not happy with the deal. Even when nothings been necessarily misrepresented a lot of times a lot of things are left out all together that would have been nice to know before you bought it but once you do the deal its usually just easier to spend the money and fix it up rather than to try and reverse the deal.
I am partly in agreement, but personally in my experience- if you go and look at the vehicle first, you get a good deal most of the time.

Back