rusted set screw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiceLaxer06

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm working on my storm and have encountered a problem. One of the set screws has rusted to the point that i can't get it unscrewed. The allens that i have slip when i try to turn it. Right now I'm attempting to loosen it by soaking in wd-40, but i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to fix this.
Thxs
Rice

If its not totally stripped out already, you can put a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil on it. Let it soak in for a bit, then try again. Otherwise, you might have to carefully drill it out, collapse it, & remove it. Good luck..

you can also try an easy out. It's a bit that drills itself into the opening and reverses the screw out.

Where is the set screw you're trying to get out?

I dont remember the technical term for it. But its the one that goes into the screw/nut that holds the wheels on. Theres a little set screw in the middle of the piece the wheel rests on and thats the one that is stuck cause i always forgot to clean it.

It screws into one of these?

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=GSCST019

I've stripped out a couple of these (the C hub, not the actual set screw.) One guy on here mentioned that he used a screw and lock-nut for that peice instead of the hinge pin and that set screw. When I find the right size screws I'm going to try it.

You're probably going to have to try and drill that out. Start with a small bit, one that will fit inside the set screw. Use some motor oil or something when you do it because you'll destroy the drill bit immediately if you don't. Go at it slow and see what happens. I've drilled a few screws like this out before and usually if you can get the bit to drill through the set screw the rest kinda just pops out. If not, you may need to replace the C Hubs. Good thing they are like $5 for two =)

Last edited:
if all that doesn't help you.Go to the hard wear store and get your self a left handed 3/32nd drill bit..this will help get it out.when you use it the drill bit spins in reverse(not the drill)the bit.with enouf pressure the set screw with the aid of the left handed bit will spin it out the set screw that is..

RiceLaxer06 said:
its actually this piece

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=GSCST021

the little screw that goes into the center of this piece.

Okay, ouch. That's a bit different. The set screw is screwing into the rear wheel axle, or the front CVD. I hope it's stuck in the rear, because the axle peice isn't too expensive, but the CVD's aren't cheap.

You definately want to try and get that thing out without wrecking the axle or CVD. Perhaps try the easy-out thing, although I've never used one and I don't know if they make them that small. It's a pickle, that's for sure. You could take a nail or something, and bang the set screw with a hammer a few times (not hard.) It might help unstick the loc-tite or rust allowing you to get it out easier. And I would try to heat it up a bit too, to expand the metal. And use plenty of WD40.

I pull mine out, clean them, and put them back in, about every four times I take out the buggy. It takes like 5 minutes and it prevents rust or just getting stuck.. I bet after this you will do the same =) (It probably also helps that I have the stainless steel RC Screwz set screws for that; they don't rust.)

Last edited:
One of my friends suggested to me that i take the part off and soak it in coca cola because it acts as a deruster. I'm going to try that before visiting the hardware store and trying a lefty bit or easy-out bit.