running in and tuning a 30cc 2 stroke?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheyDontWantMusic

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so, ah, I bought a cheapo 2 stroke, 30cc, rear wheel drive "monster truck"

1/5 scale of course.

now, it starts, but will just die when its meant to be idling, or you'll start driving along long grass, and it gets stuck, as in, you're WOT, but its not moving!

now, I'm sure the carby needs tuning, but I have no idea how to do this, and the instructions are a bit... translated?

help! please!

it was cheap, I had a cheap, small nitro car, and that was faster than this 30cc truck!

thanks!

alrighty, I twiddled with the carby, not knowing what screw was for what (simply trial and error, adjusting one, then turning it back again)

anyway, I adjusted one screw out 1/4 a turn, does this increase, or decrease the fuel?

I assume it increases it, but now the car idles fine, and I managed to drop the idle speed down to about half what it was...

am I running too rich though!

how am I supposed to tune it?

any advice would be good!

thanks!

What is it, if you don't know then pictures would help. We are willing to help you just have to put a little effort in as well.

its this vehicle:

40443398.jpg

its got two jets for the carby, I'll take some carby pics later.

the vehicle is an FS racing, sold as the "King Kong"

at least its idling now, and I'm kinda using a combination of the two run in methods I saw... one being just idle it, and the other being drive it till its up to temp, and let it cool down completely, however, these were both nitro methods :p

here's a pic of the carby...

57207180.jpg

the screw nearer the engine block was adjusted 1/4 turn out, and now the car idles, and I was able to lower the idle speed.

the other screw, I believe I ended up turning 1/4 a turn in, and the car seemed to run a tad better, but still died when I let off the throttle.

still, the question is, how do you tune a weed wacker? :p

haha, just noticed in the pic, the screws are labled as "H" and "L"

but I already figured out which was which anyway :p

Sounds like you need to just keep tuning it. Try to get it to warm up then tune from there.

Sounds like you need to just keep tuning it. Try to get it to warm up then tune from there.

I wanna empty another half a tank of fuel running it in first..

and I really have no idea about tuning.. thats the issue :(

oh noes!!

I played with the carb settings, and now I can't even get it to start :(

help me please!

oops.. haha

Ok, HPI has a decent guide on tuning the gassers. Go to the HPI website, look up the manual for one of the Bajas and read through to the tuning section in the back of the book. That should get you real close. Try the link below.
http://www.hpiracing.com/manuals/pdf/10629.pdf

thankyou!

I'll see how I go :)

just one thing though, in the future, when linking to a 105mb PDF file, maybe give a warning :p lol

aerrgh!!

I can't even get it started now! :(

when set to the standard settings before I started playing, it wouldn't idle anyway!!

arrgh!!

can anyone offer a sure fire way to get this started..

it simply won't start, all I'm managing to do is flood it!

could I hook it up to a cordless drill, close the "H" screw fully, and crank the engine over with the drill, slowly opening the "L" screw?

If you hook it to a drill, leave the H at factory settings while adjusting the L till it starts and idles. At this point you might want to consider a new plug since the original is probably fouled or carbon-ed up from a bad tune.
Hot spark, good tune = good times. :)

If you hook it to a drill, leave the H at factory settings while adjusting the L till it starts and idles. At this point you might want to consider a new plug since the original is probably fouled or carbon-ed up from a bad tune.
Hot spark, good tune = good times. :)

i don't have any factory settings...

I tried resetting it as per the HPI manual, for a different car, but it still won't start...

I really shouldn't have reset the carb to ZERO :p haha.

maybe I'll clean the spark plug, and gap it a bit smaller..

thats the problem though.

I really don't know what the engine is?

I'd put a new plug in it before going any further, too. Did you try to contact FS?

Walbro is the most common carb for weed whackers, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc. I think the other one is Webber. Any hardware store that rents and services that type of equipment can help you out with it.

Found this for you:
some two cycle engines have limiter caps on the adjusting screws,that is factory settings.if you have overhauled the carburetor or removed the screws look on the carburetor casing there should be two letters one with an h/high one with a/l low.low is your idle high is full rpm's.i will explain this as if both screws were removed.start with the low end screw,screw it out 2 1/2 turns,then the high end screw turn it out 3 turns.that should get you started.attempt to start the unit with the manufacturers suggestions choke pull start 5 turns then half choke,the engine should start but run rough burble sounding that is a rich setting.adjust the high end screw until you hear the engine run to its peak rpm then back out on that screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn,next set the throttle for idle and adjust the low end screw out or in until you get peak rpm at idle back out on this screw 1/4 turn.open throttle to high again and adjust the high end until it peaks again then back out on the throttle 1/4 to 1/2 turn.you always want a 2 cycle engine to run rich for two reasons the extra fuel heps cool the engine and also it gives you a little more lubrication.after you are satisfied with the settings install the limiter caps back on,most have a white for idle brown for high end.

Last edited:
Back