Running an engine in opposite direction

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on my thesis at university, I need to be able to run an engine in the opposite direction.

Would it be possible to get the engine to run in the oppposite direction if I were to reverse the pull starter? Would it create the same amount of power?

From what I have seen of the engines they seem pretty symmetrical, I just dont know how the valves would work. You nitro gurus have any thoughts on this.

Hey man you might wanna look into ski-doo snowmobiles(Bombardier, or maybe Can-am now?), their reverse feature is a button that actually stops the engine and fires it up in reverse without even having to use the starter again. All I know about it is that they are 2 strokers, probably with direct injection.

Hey man you might wanna look into ski-doo snowmobiles(Bombardier, or maybe Can-am now?), their reverse feature is a button that actually stops the engine and fires it up in reverse without even having to use the starter again. All I know about it is that they are 2 strokers, probably with direct injection.

yes they do! actually the motor stops and is started in reverse. being this is how they manage reverse in the newer models that are 2 stroke they are direct injected. engine rotation doesn't matter to 2 strokes....

as an aside - as for the who makes skidoo now its actually BRP, once upon known as bombardier but bombardier went bankrupt and was bought by BRP investment group who also owns Can-am along with a bunch of other companies.

Last edited:
Wow this thread seems to be taking off only what 6 yrs later?

>Didn't notice the date, you def. heard a coffin open.

>Mickmack, I have to agree, the diffs are probably installed wrong. Also another >common mistake. Done it myself ....once

Thanks for the reply man, I have ordered another pull start and another g'box off ebay so would have figured this in the process anyhow, but yeah, it must be just the g'box assembly, didn't know it could do that!

Mike.

Should the engine run counter clockwise from the front of the engine?

Correct...clock wise from the rear so CCW from the front. I had one with too hot of a plug and on deceleration it would pre-det and end up running backwards for a few seconds.....funny stuff in a truggy.

The only way for a nitro engine to run backwards with the same power is if the induction port on the crank were to close at the same time in both directions, unfortunately none of them come timed with those numbers. It is however possible for them to run in reverse for short periods of time, I got bit by a prop on an airplane once due to this. Lesson learned very quickly lol.

It is however possible for them to run in reverse for short periods of time, I got bit by a prop on an airplane once due to this. Lesson learned very quickly lol.
Which is why they make "The Chicken Stick"......yeah me too. Damn near took the first knuckle off....lol

Yeah, I use one now lol, I got bit because the darn thing fired in reverse and when I went to block the carb and shut it down.... WHACK. I was used to .45 and bigger, the prop is much closer to the carb on a little .25 lol.

Kind of good to keep those fingers.
Calling it a chicken stick hardly encourages the fingerless one's of us to use one!

thanks for the advise, looks like it was running forward all along.

Mike.

Yeah, I use one now lol, I got bit because the darn thing fired in reverse and when I went to block the carb and shut it down.... WHACK. I was used to .45 and bigger, the prop is much closer to the carb on a little .25 lol.
I got it with a O.S. Max 75 AX....I learned quickly to flip and get the hell out of the way...lol. A year later and I still have a numb spot on my finger...Good times:hehe:

Funny... I have a numb spot on the side of my pointer finger where it bit me too, two years ago, the nail never did fully recover.

i realy dont know a lot about this subject. but i have seen 2 engines that are made to run both ways. one was on a small railroad repair car. the other on golf cart, both 2 cycle. read about some tug boat engines 4 stroke i think, changed rotation by sliding the camshaft. the change is all most instant. find some OLD engineering books.

When you meant I had the diffs in backwards did you mean that I have the fronts on the back and the backs on the front, or did you mean they are messed up inside.

Mike

I you put a diff in with the ring gear on the wrong side it will make the output run the opposite direction of what you were intending.

Back