rotostart trouble

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs4evo

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well, i was out drivin my rs4 evo around a parking lot today. i shut her down for a minute while i was on the phone, and i went to start back up and the rotostart gears stripped. i know HPI has made a revised version of the rotostart so i have a couple of questions. do you think HPI would warranty the rotostart and send me a new one?..and also, would it better to just go with a pullstart instead? if HPI wont warranty the rotostart i'm definitely going with a pullstart instead of spending $65 on a new rotostart. but i may go with a pullstart regardless. looking for your opinions.

Personally, I'd go with the pullstart. It's just one less battery to charge, which means more run time for you.

2nd that.....pullstart is the way to go but has its disadvantages too called the cord breaking......it dont use the same 1way as the roto does so you will have to get a 1way for it......

my personally love the roto start. I'm just not good with pullstarts. Have had horrible luck with them, but I can see where they would be beneficial. There is a duratrax and a hotbodies roto start that has a double battery pack that suppose to work pretty good.

they need to make a pullstart/rotostart backplate combo. It has the pullstarter for backup, with a rotostart shaft that fits in the middle.

well, i think i'll prolly end up going with the pullstart if HPI wont replace my rotostart. i liked using the rotostart because it was so easy to use, but i just couldnt justify $65 on a new one

aj200415 said:
they need to make a pullstart/rotostart backplate combo. It has the pullstarter for backup, with a rotostart shaft that fits in the middle.

I think Losi had one like this. I saw one a few months back, on the LST2.

yeah the lst2 has one. Kick ass idea.

Where you buying a rotostart for $65?? Last time I looked they were like $30. Check on ebay. Alot of people dump them when they get rtr's.

Check your LHS. i was at mine yesterday and I'm pretty sure I saw a rotostart setup for around $35. i personally recommend converting to a pullstart because its a lot easier to deal with and imo less likely to break your one way bearing as often.

this may help

I myself LOVE the Roto Start.I have had pull starters adn i sucked with them i broke at least 3 and i bought the roto starter.And my question is did you strip the gears in the roto starter itsself or just the back plate?If its in the roto starter its self see if its warented or see if you can send it somewhere to get ti fixed.If its in the gears in the back plate just buy new gears.I had mine for over a year now and i run my car about 3 times a week.I have no problems with it what so ever.

HPI's customer service is very good. I'm sure they'd take care of it for you, so long as it wasn't obvious damage. I personally like pull starts, but the roto can come in handy.