roto start system for ofna hyper engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseymou

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My pirate 10 engine has always been difficult to start but I have heard that there is a system for roto start or using a cordless drill. Can anyone confirm this and give details? I hate to buy the rotostart unit if I could use my Dewalt drill and chuck up some type of adapter.

Just get a rotostart backplate and starter shaft and use your drill. Just make sure you set the clutch as loose as possible on the drill so you don't blow the roto start gears.

If you get a rotostart backplate, make sure the drill is reversible. The backplate is geared for counterclockwise

I haven't seen a cordless drill yet that will spin the rotostart backplate fast enough to start the engine..The handheld rotostarter has more rpm's because of the gearing in the rotostart backplate..But if you choose that way the rotostart backplate for the STS .28 will fit the Ofna Hyper engine..

There are drills out there that will do it. A guy at the track uses one, i'll have to look as to what it is. I tried both of my drills, and neither turned fast enough to start it.

i got the old $99 ridgid 12v cordless chuck down to 6 and it it starts the RB TM 323 evrytime:breakdown

I've got a 14.4v dewalt with 2 speeds. Hopefully that will be enough.