Revo with lrp .28

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_fusaro

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Is the lrp .28 a good engine to put on my revo? I've been building it up little at a time.
What do I need to mount it? I got a great deal for $75 brand new. Don't know what to do with it.

The LRP .28 is an awesome choice for a BB revo conversion. Keep in mind you will need the conversion engine mount, and I would recommend a set of steel RRP trans gears to hold the extra beef!

+1 for hulks advice, in addition your gonna want a bb pipe and header, Some cvd's at least down the center

Wow! What a great price for the LRP! Gonna run you an extra $150 roughly for the mods with the steel shafts, motor mount, metal gears and pipe and silencer!

---------- Post added at 2:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:37 PM ----------

Wow! What a great price for the LRP! Gonna run you an extra $150 roughly for the mods with the steel shafts, motor mount, metal gears and pipe and silencer! And that's on the conservative side!

I found a site where they are cheaper. I have steal cvds all around. I have to change gearing in tranny to forward only and make them steal. What bb Mount will work? Everyone I tall to says the only one is new era? To expensive for just the mount. Is there anything cheaper? Well a jp3 or jp2 pipe work?
Check out site for parts traxxasrchobby.com

you could use the traxxas mount you will have to mod it to run a pull start I believe. other option is to find one of randy's clone new era mounts.
go for the jp3 more of a top end pipe.

I've got a TRX mount on mine, works fine, you need to trim a little from the top suspension arm to clear a pull start or rotostart.

Use a good 1/8 clutch - I run a Werks clutch, but a Losi8 clutch will also work.

i bought i used revo with a lrp .28 mounted with a new era kit it had the stock rear mount exhaust ,when i replaced it with a jp3 it ran much harder ,the only downside is i had to cut my body because of the side mount exhaust, mine had the rotorstart that i think is not as bulky as a pull ,i have since installed a LOSI 454 which is a clone of the lrp just cheaper also using a 3 shoe clutch that i bought from hot racing for traxxas . I just installed a wheelie bar because it kept going on the rear wheels and destroying the rear wing, It was my 1st nitro vehicle and still my favorite

If your wanting to run a really good clutch I recommend the Integy Savage XL 3 shoe aluminum clutch they are awesome and a great price. I am running a race mod LRP.30 on my BB Maxx and after two gallons it shoes little ware. At $20.00 its hard to beat. Also if you can locate one Randy's engine mounts are a really great mount. I know the Traxxas one can be prone to breakage if bashing hard. I know mounts are hard to locate and very pricey. I would recommend a 36t spur and a 17-18t clutch bell in gearing it will help keep it off the wing and it's top better.

From what I have heard, the LRP Spec3 Z28 is the same motor as the Losi 454. I have the Losi 454 in a Savage 25 and it is simply AWESOME!!! If you get that in the Revo, I believe you will really like it. I have a Revo 2.5R that I was thinking of getting another Losi and converting it over to the bigger motor. I would be interested in knowing what you have to do and how hard it is to change over. Keep me posted on your progress please. :D

+1 for lrp .28 donk, i put one in mine and its more than enough power, unless you want to break everything on your car. i have RR gears and 1/8 4 shoe alloy clutch and everything else on the drivetrain is stock. just keep spare drive shafts and parts incase.

I've got a TRX mount on mine, works fine, you need to trim a little from the top suspension arm to clear a pull start or rotostart.

Use a good 1/8 clutch - I run a Werks clutch, but a Losi8 clutch will also work.
I bought the TRX kit but it seems to be too big I'm not sure if something is just sitting wrong but the gears may be too big . I have a 40T spur gear and clutch bell is the 454 1/8 16T that was on it. Does the transmission have to be moved? Reading this before it seemed like it would work fine but mine does not seem to fit. I was considering using the stock 3.3 clutch bell. I dont have a rotostart and its just the starter pin or whatever it's called sticking out and can use a drill. Any help would be nice it seems most of you have had this conversion before in one engine form or another.

switch to a 36t spur , also some pics would help diagnose your problem. cheapest and easiest way to get a 1/8 clutch is use a savage clutch kit from a pulled truck from ebay. I haven't used the trx kit personally but it should line up fine.

Yea I was figuring on switching to either 36 or 38T spur. I have a 1/8 clutch on it but when I get the engine in it binds up into the spur way too much so I put the stock 3.3 shoes and 15T clutch on as the kit suggests with the included flywheel. And that got me much closer to where I needed I did have to shave the back right corner as well because I am using the holes furthest out on the mount. Now it still binds up and doesn't sit all the way down but I took the tranny screws loose and with a little lift it gets the spur up high enough to fit so if I use washers to raise the tranny it should work. Then I would worry about the drive lines rubbing on the bottom of chassis. But I'll try it first and switching the spur gear should help as well. I'll try and get pics but I've changed enough since I posted it'll be hard to show.

Well, to run a 1/8 clutch on it, you can slide the trans forward 1/4" by egging out the trans holes. That is if you use plastic center axles. I did that on both my small block and big block revos so I could run a standard 1/8 clutch/bell. My BB has a LRP28S3 in it with the new era mount. I run the THS big block revo pipe on it and the high torque THS pipe on my SB revo.

I'd also suggest getting the RRP steel trans internal gears. I went through 3 or 4 sets of internals before I gave up and just put all steel in there. Never opened the trans again for many gallons of run time until the main output shaft busted. Didn't hurt the gears, just replaced the shaft and it's been fine since.

Back