revo will not stsrt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
revo will not start

ok just got my revo yesterday was on my 3rd tank doing the break in. the truck shut off and will not restart it will turn over just not fire up. i have changed my glow plug and i have fuel in it made sure hsn and lsn are at factory setting any ideas

Last edited:
I would double check the glow plug, even though it's new. Take it out and hook it to the blue wire, you can disconnect the red wire on the EZ Start motor so the engine won't turn over while you do this. Plug in the wand and push the button, make sure the plug is glowing. It wouldn't be completely unheard of for the glow plug to bad out of the package.
Also check your idle setting. Pull off the air filter and see what the gap is, there should be a 1-2mm gap, any more or less may prevent it from starting.

ok the glow plug is working i saw a picture on the traxxas site that showed the gap for the idle looks about the same. is 1 mm about the thickness of a credit card? i all so cleared it in case it was flooded while i had the glow plug out but still no go

You probably need to re-charge the EZ start. Sure, the glow plug lights, but probably just not hot enough to fire up a rich engine. That's the drawback with that setup. You might want to lose the plug wire and go with a separate ignitor to guarantee a good glow.

Give it a FULL recommended charge before trying to start the engine with it. Usually the first charge is the most important. If you get the one with the gauge on top, you'll always know how much power is in the glow battery, and if the plug is good or bad.
Keep us posted.

You probably need to re-charge the EZ start. Sure, the glow plug lights, but probably just not hot enough to fire up a rich engine. That's the drawback with that setup. You might want to lose the plug wire and go with a separate ignitor to guarantee a good glow.

+1 good advise! may also like to raise the idle a bit for break in, not to much or it will cause the clutch to engage and give you a whole nother problem.

i will get the ignitor and try that just figured it may be something else cause it started fine the other times thanks for the help ill let yall know how it works

almost forgot will any ignitor work or is there a special size i need?

Most glow plug ignitors will work fine for this truck. I bought a dyamnite d cell for my T-Maxx and my revo just in case:D

The break in is the stubborn period with almost any engine. It will run fine for a tank or two, then it needs to be tweaked some. Aside from running down batts trying to start it, you've also had it on checking servos and alignments. You'll need to charge up or replace the receiver batts pretty soon, also.

All this is good advice I had the ez start when I bought mine used. I went to a glow plug igniter and a pull start. I couldn't believe how quick it would fire with a pull start and glow igniter. I also believed the blue wire was in the way not giving me accurate engine temps from my gun. I recommend a pull start as soon as your break in is complete.

All this is good advice I had the ez start when I bought mine used. I went to a glow plug igniter and a pull start. I couldn't believe how quick it would fire with a pull start and glow igniter. I also believed the blue wire was in the way not giving me accurate engine temps from my gun. I recommend a pull start as soon as your break in is complete.

+1, once you're familiar with the tuning and running of the truck, lose the blue wire at least. I haven't gone to a pull start yet, but I am using an igniter, which means I have to carry the igniter and the wand, but the battery in the wand last at least twice as long now. The igniter will get the glow plug hotter than the wand will by itself, which will make it easier to start. Now I just have to track down a decent pull start and I'll be ready to go.

i use the roto start system and it works great .. it turns the motor over far faster then the ez start plus there is less bulk on your truck.. I just hate pull starts especially if you engine gets out of tune..

i use the roto start system and it works great .. it turns the motor over far faster then the ez start plus there is less bulk on your truck.. I just hate pull starts especially if you engine gets out of tune..

Hey Bob, is there a roto-start that fits the stock TRX3.3 motor?

well i got the ignitor and it still wont fire up. i can feel the header getting hot when I'm trying to start it so I'm going to take it to the LHS so they can help me with the tuning cause i dont know what else to do

let me know if yall have any more ideas for me to try cause its gonna be 2 days before i can go to the LHS

This is a stab in the dark but since no one else has mentioned it yet, and it still isn't starting, anyone think there may be an air leak someplace that could be causing this problem? also, have you checked all of the screws holding the engine together? Cooling head screws could be loose enough to cause an air leak that wouldn't allow it to start. Also, may want to take off the EZ start and check on the 4 hex screws holding the backplate on. They seem to be less likely to get loose enough to cause an air leak that wouldn't an engine to start but since you have two days might be worth a try. Do you hear anything out of the ordinary when you do try to turn it over? These engines run really well but it doesn't take much to stop them when something other than normal engine friction comes into play. Take a good listen to it when you try starting it and if it sounds like anything more than an engine trying to turn over there may be something else rubbing either inside the engine block or outside of it like the flywheel or inside the clutch bell. As you mentioned, you got two days, it's worth a shot... I've had engine problems, still have them actually so I know how frustrating it can be especially with a new rig. I hope it works itself out for you soon man. Then you can get back to breaking it all over again! :\ :whhooo: :hammer:

well got the the revo running again today. the one way bearing seized and broke a gear in the ez start.

Back