Revo Still Comp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platgof

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Revo lost the World championship the first time this year, and I was wondering if it is still competive against the new generation big blocks out there:boxing:?

i say it sure is. engines will get bigger, badder and smaller as the years go on. but power and torque will be going up as well. and I'm sure so will the price. so with the right engine, truck set up, and driver. any car can win =]

Ever race or attend a race. There are a lot of factors that play into a podium finish. Skill and good equipment is at the top. Luck is also up there.

Well, competitive or not I dropped the ride height to get it ready for my first race this Saturday. I am very nervous and know not to expect to much. It can't be any worse than my golf game lately! I got some medium heat plugs and need to lean it out some more. I am also having a hard time keeping the left rear axle from coming loose. I may double-nut it if needed. I put some thread locker on it but no match for this problem. Once I get the fuel done it will be ready to turn some laps. It is amazing how much more stable it is when you drop the ride height. I may be able to keep up if I get my game face on and work out some strategy. I want to make the "main" my first time, as my goal!

I think the most important thing is to have fun! Obviously you haven't raced before so don't expect too much of yourself. I think making it into the main is a good goal, just don't be too hard on yourself if you don't make it. I have yet to make it out to my local track, the heat here is unbelievable right now and I wouldn't enjoy the experience with this type of weather. I'm on vacation next week so I do hope I can make it out there to practice, I've never driven on a track before and I'm sure it will a sight to behold....LOL.

On the straightaways the BB trucks can easily pull away, plus the LST's, Savages are way more stable when jumping. The Revo is still competitve and a bit more agile in the technical stuff.

Um not to sound dumb, but what won? And is engine size unlimited on this class, I dont see why somthing like a picco .26 can't keep up with a big block. I knew a guy that put a Ninja .21 in his revo and if he didnt blow one of his diffs the thing was stupid fast on a track and dominated everthing. can't this be done in nationals?

Fuel efficiency plays a role also.The peak HP is not the biggest factor.You also have to considder power to weight ratio.I would say driver skill and durability are the biggest factors.At our track the Revo is the truck to beat most of the time.One of the fastest guys ran a LST 2 last year and runs a Revo in the points races this year and the LST2 in the trophy races.He said yea the big block has some balls but the Revo handles so its pretty even.He runs an OS .18TZ on the Revo and so does the Traxxas factory sponsored kid.

Your #1 goal the first race out exspecially should be to finish every heat and keep the shiny side up.If you can do that you will make the main.

Good Luck and have fun!

I am trying to get my ride ready and I double-nutted the axle to keep the tires from coming off. I worked on tuning and this revo likes it on the rich side. I plan on getting the engined tuned up and work on cornering the rest of the week. Even my neighbors want to go and watch. I am bringing 2 other guys with mt's, so they will bring their savages. I used to ride a Maico 450 dirt bike years ago, so I understand sliding. My son could not figure out why I did so well on the McCrae? rally races on X-box.

I had the same problem with my first 3.3 Revo.I kept losing the one rear wheel.I tried new nuts,loc-tite,23MM pro line set up hubs,still the same prob.I put on a set of 17MM hubs and have not lost a wheel since.The Platinum Revos I have have never had the problem and they came with a nice 17mm hub.I don't know exactly why but it fixed my problem and now I can run the Pro Line pre mounted Crime fighters and Bowtie LPR truggy wheel/tires.:)

I went to the track, 65 miles away. That is a long drive, so it will be every other week at most. I stunk and looked horrible trying to go around the track, I had no idea it was this hard!!!! I used the stock tires and that does not work on loose clay. I found a set of used tires that are in great shape. They are crime fighters with 1/2" offset so that should help alot. I did not get a chance to use them as the race was running. Boy did I learn alot attending that race!!!! There is no substitute for being at an actual race and seeing what is going on. I attended White House raceway and they do a super job, and the hobby shop is very close by. I forgot to add that when I was on the track I kept nosing it in and flipping over, so I added some throttle and it worked as I was able to land alot better and this helped to really move out on the jumps. I tried the 70-30 setting, but the 50-50 worked better for me.

Last edited:
Good deal, big question....Did you have fun?
I think it was a positive experience because you learned a few things, need different tires and learned how to negotiate the jumps. I think until a person gets to the upper levels of racing, there is something to be learned from every race experience. Too bad you have to drive that far, makes practicing kind of difficult.

how far up 65n is this place? after hearing you talk about the place i checked their site out and the track looks pretty nice?

It is a very short distance north of Hendersonville, about 12 miles, and wait till you see that triple! They really put together a first class event, and the staff is so friendly. This is a race neighborhood as the full size track is very close by, they like their racing here. Some of the folks were from Kentucky if that gives you a clue as to how people like it this track, and the burgers were pretty good!

Back