Revo or Lightning RTRs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericke1

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm planning on buying either the Revo or the new Lightning RTRs 1/8 scales. Any idea on pros and cons? I'm looking for a truck that will withstand abuse, speed and durability, ie have to replace parts less than often. Any thoughts

Where do you mainly plan to run it?

in a large parking lot and offroad on grass and a little mud

l would say Revo, lots of replacement parts everywhere, lots of hop ups/aftermarket, have a little more ground clearance, traxxas support, e-z starter, reverse, fast little motor

I would say both... If we all the money that would be ideal. I have a buggy and they are great but sometimes limited on where you can take them. For example, I went bashing with some friends and MT's can go over more stufff and smaller rocks will not interfear too much. As opposed to the buggy, it scrapes everything. The buggy is ideal if you have flat surfaces and/ or a track. They are easier to jump and a bit more power of the bat. The Revo I think has a bigger learning curve. You will learn how to drive it on a track and a buggy is much better for handleing. All in all, they are both fun and eventually get both...:). I did!

Get the Revo and get second set of wheels done up for it for the road. The Revo's suspension is easily raised or lowered for handling and ground clearance. You will be surprised at how well it handles on dry pavement once you set the suspension to it's low level, which is still a couple of inches off the ground.

Last edited:
I have 5 buggies already, this one if for my wife, she needs something that can literally be bashed. She likes the trucks. How about the Revo compared to the new Savage or Duratrax Truck coming out, I think its called the warhead? Should i wait?

Savage is probably the toughest truck, but the Revo is so smooth and easy to drive, and has the most room to grow with of all these trucks. When you say your wife wants to really bash, how hard do you think she is really going to bash it? If it is more likely sandlot bashing, the Revo should be able to take it, easily.

I don't know if you have seen the video of the guy who takes a brand new Revo out to a cement skate park and just flails the thing (the guy was an idiot or at the least stoned), but it is a good testimony as to how much abuse the Revo can take.

Well imagine how much damage a lady can do to an RC vehicle if they are not a seasoned driver and youll know what I'm talking about.

I'm sooo confused, I like the Revo and parts are easier to get right? Before month end Tower was selling one for 469, less 40 bucks and a 20 gift certificate, which made the price 409 plus free shipping, now its not that much of a bargain. Any bargains on a revo pls let me know. Thanks.

That is a great price, lowest I have ever seen it. The cheapest place around here, most consistently, is Ultimate Hobbies, and they have it for 439.00.

I usually go to Rob's R/C. They will order me anything and meet any in state web price (Calif). He might meet Ultimate's price and ship for free. 714-372-3777.

Hey Revo, are you going to RCX? I've never been, I used to live in LA and may come back to visit my brother during the RCX weekend because he lives in Santa Monica, is it worth going to RCX? Can you get bargains?

Savage will not break, period. It won't turn as well has the LGT, but it will break less. The Revo is 1/10 and is small block powered which is why I like the savage better.

well i proved how tough my savage was today I ran it into a step, I was driving it down a sidewalk and it hit the point of a step square with the front bumper, threw it like 10 feet to my front porch and all that broke was the air filter flew off casue it didn't have a tie wrap on the carb part of it.

Been runnin my revo hard for 4 wks now and haven't broke a single part. i'm a converted xxxnt driver and am now in hog heaven man! REVO Rocks!

Back